Quantcast
Kato 27cm chefs knife. Maxim delivers - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kato 27cm chefs knife. Maxim delivers

Mental note - Stay away from Bieniek and his chef - I do not want to get cut in half by a lefty with a KATO

I am looking forward to hearing more about these knives though.

Little correction knife name is Yoshiaki Fujiwara and maker is Mr. Kiyoshi Kato

Did you say "Im not going into speculating what is it, but it tastes strange on stones." Now that's a knife nut, eating swarf. thats Passion!

man have to taste everything in his life, they say

Thats why i started with shite

BIENIEK's a BONIFIED FREAK, but in a good way. HA

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    I will do a passaround, it is just not going to be right now. I have to take care of those chips.
    You know, Its all about personal preference. Im little surprised you dont like how the shig is cutting, but then, whats better?
    It wasn't that I didn't like it, it's that it wasn't amazing. I first tested it against a Tadatsuna laser and was surprised to find that the Shig did not cut with less resistance on anything really. I started thinking why did I pay 500 for this when I could have bought a 250-300 dollar knife?

Then I got my first Heiji. It cuts most things, especially those annoying things, with a surprising lack of resistance if I get my technique right. It still struggles a bit on dense apples and dense sweet potatoes for example, but otherwise feels resistance-free.

Then I tried the Gesshin Hide gyuto at Jon's shop and even though it's thicker than the Heiji, it went through those super dense items even better! Blew my mind how an even thicker knife cuts better. I didn't have much time with this one, but I've heard similar things from others who have used this knife.

So the Heiji and Gesshin Hide in particular are two I can think of that definitely cut more easily than my Shig used to. Of course, some of this is based on memory and not side-by-side comparison and I know memory can be f-ed up. I did test the Shig against a Heiji, though, and definitely preferred my Heiji.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    Little correction knife name is Yoshiaki Fujiwara and maker is Mr. Kiyoshi Kato
    Yes man, and youre name is Maksim, sorry for both mistakes

heirkb, okay, we talk cutting resistance. I dont really care, unless its terribly bad.

Whats more important for me is that there no annoying stickiness on stuff like onion/potato. Or anything for that matter.

Shite I just thought at work I have carrots that were cropped yesterday, still dirty [just like I remember them from own garden] Doesnt get any more fresh than that. Have to take detour and get some for the testing.

So what produce should get included in the testing?

That's surprising. I'm basically the reverse. I care about cutting resistance and usually don't mind sticking unless it's pretty bad. I actually started caring even more once I started working in a kitchen, since having to force a knife to cut all day long gets old pretty quickly.

How is the cutting resistance on the Kato compared to some of the other knives?