Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knives for the wives

Knives for the wives

Well actually for my mrs....so i'm not talking about you ladies who are pro chefs.... i'm talking about your regular home cook.
    What would you guys recommend for a first sharpie... a good all-rounder. would i be right in saying maybe something like a santoku 180mm. Something nice.... pretty... damascus stainless steel i'm thinking... easy to maintain..with a sexy handle any suggestions?

Tojiro Sharaku Mono. Heavily discounted, comfortable (nice rounded handle) and super easy to maintain. I bought two to complete a Global set because I can't bear the Global handles on small knives...plus the look better.

Budget? This knife fit similar needs for us: decent geometry, durable, stainless, takes a pretty good edge, looks interesting with hammered Damascus, smaller size, etc.
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...s-santoku.html

Quote Originally Posted by MrOli View Post
    Tojiro Sharaku Mono. Heavily discounted, comfortable (nice rounded handle) and super easy to maintain.
    OK...thanks no disrespect but i need it to be sexier, cheers anyway.

I got the Tanaka Damascus SS 150mm petty with western handle for the wife... she loves it. perfect size for her. And $65 so big investment.

http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/9

If you have 16k lying around, how about that one?

Swarovski Studded Nesmuk Cooking Knife...

Quote Originally Posted by johnstoc View Post
    Budget? This knife fit similar needs for us: decent geometry, durable, stainless, takes a pretty good edge, looks interesting with hammered Damascus, smaller size, etc.
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...s-santoku.html
    Well it depends...between 100-300 $

If you Mrs likes small knives that start with a nice petty, otherwise give a nice 180 gyuto a try. Handle - unless she likes the WA handles on your knives go with western. Damascus or not - I would base that choice on whether she likes more fancy stuff, or prefers 'cleaner' design. And indeed stainless. Check out JCK webpage on Hattori HD (the ones with white korian handle look sweet), SHIKI Damascus, Saji (many different designs). These all have VG-10 core (not the most favourite steel around here because of Shun knives, but it seems that most producers get the HT better than Shun).

Quote Originally Posted by Karnstein View Post
    If you have 16k lying around, how about that one?

Swarovski Studded Nesmuk Cooking Knife...
    Well now that's sexy but i would want to put that in a glass cabinet on show.... wow. crazy looking knife .

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    If you Mrs likes small knives that start with a nice petty, otherwise give a nice 180 gyuto a try. Handle - unless she likes the WA handles on your knives go with western. Damascus or not - I would base that choice on whether she likes more fancy stuff, or prefers 'cleaner' design. And indeed stainless. Check out JCK webpage on Hattori HD (the ones with white korian handle look sweet), SHIKI Damascus, Saji (many different designs). These all have VG-10 core (not the most favourite steel around here because of Shun knives, but it seems that most producers get the HT better than Shun).
    Ok.. will look in to that.