honyaki blade or "non" honyaki blade?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cclin

Reaction score
hi: what is different between honyaki blade & "non" honyaki blade from same maker? does honyaki has better cuting performance? better construction type/heat treatment?? or better FF? Is It worth the extra money?? I wondering.?????????......:scratchhead:.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Honyaki knives are forged from one single material, usually high-carbon steel. The finest honyaki (mizu-honyaki) are then differentially-hardened, the same method used for traditional katana. Their sharpness is the longest lasting of all Japanese blades.[citation needed] They are extremely difficult to forge, requiring a high level of skill and experience. They are also very difficult to sharpen and maintain, and easily damaged if not properly used. They are also more expensive than other knives (costing over $1000 for a 240mm gyuto)[1], such as Kasumi knives, which are made out of two materials and are easier to forge and maintain.

Check out the Salty video featuring the famed Masamoto Honyaki vs. the iconic Masamoto KS; also, some of his Mizuno white vs. blue vs. kitaeji vids are classic.

I think his finding was that overall the KS was a very comparable performer, but the honyaki bested it in edge retention.

I personally would rather spend my money on a Mizuno, Masamoto, Watanabe or other in a good carbon steel, and get a kick a$$ saya and rehandle, and still have money left over to take the lady out to a nice dinner; but tha'ts just me....

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Honyaki knives are forged from one single material, usually high-carbon steel. The finest honyaki (mizu-honyaki) are then differentially-hardened, the same method used for traditional katana. Their sharpness is the longest lasting of all Japanese blades.[citation needed] They are extremely difficult to forge, requiring a high level of skill and experience. They are also very difficult to sharpen and maintain, and easily damaged if not properly used. They are also more expensive than other knives (costing over $1000 for a 240mm gyuto)[1], such as Kasumi knives, which are made out of two materials and are easier to forge and maintain.

Citation needed indeed.

Back