Quantcast
Opinion Needed: Kitchen Knife Set (Budget $150)
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion Needed: Kitchen Knife Set (Budget $150)

Question Opinion Needed: Kitchen Knife Set (Budget $150)

Hi everyone.

Wondering if I could get some opinions.

I would like to get a good kitchen cutting knife set (minus scissors if possible).
    I'm looking for a set of knives for cutting meat, fruit, regular kitchen duties (I'm not looking for eating knives).

My budget is $150 - does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks so much - it's appreciated!
    sleekay

The first thing your gonna hear is to spend the money on one, maybe two good knives, that's all you will need to do what you want to do, and you will be able to buy good knives that will far out perform anything you will find in a set for the money your looking to spend.

I agree with The Hekler. Get a decent 210 or 240mm Gyuto and a 150mm petty and you should be good for most of the tasks in the kitchen. A Carbonext 150mm petty is $70 and the 210mm gyuto is $105, so it's a little over your budget, but that may be a way to go. Also, Fujiwara has their stainless series FKM or carbon series FKH: 150mm petty is $44 and the 210mm gyuto is $75, $83 for the 240mm gyuto in stainless. Another option is an Artifex, either 210mm or 240, or a Tojiro DP Gyuto and Petty. Most blades in a knife set don't get used. The gyuto will take care of the slicing tasks, whether it is veggies or proteins. The petty will take care of most smaller tasks, finer cutting, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz575 View Post
    I agree with The Hekler. Get a decent 210 or 240mm Gyuto and a 150mm petty and you should be good for most of the tasks in the kitchen. A Carbonext 150mm petty is $70 and the 210mm gyuto is $105, so it's a little over your budget, but that may be a way to go. Also, Fujiwara has their stainless series FKM or carbon series FKH: 150mm petty is $44 and the 210mm gyuto is $75, $83 for the 240mm gyuto in stainless. Another option is an Artifex, either 210mm or 240, or a Tojiro DP Gyuto and Petty. Most blades in a knife set don't get used. The gyuto will take care of the slicing tasks, whether it is veggies or proteins. The petty will take care of most smaller tasks, finer cutting, etc.
    +1; also I think it would be a wise decision to get some sharpening paraphernalia. An expensive knife is no better than a cheap knife when both are dull

Welcome sleekay!

Agree with what others have said, aside from that I know nothing about any sets. A gyuto (chef's), a petty or paring knife, and possibly a bread knife would be what most people would need to cut most everything they would ever cut.

Good luck!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Other options

Your choice also depends on what you use the most often. If you mainly use the chef knife, go for a good one and get a junky petty knife. Of you do more small work, get a better petty knife than a chef. It also depends how you take care of your knives. If you really careful, you could get a tojiro shirogami 210mm Gyuto for $60, and a petty for 40. But they are carbon steel, which can rust if left dirty.

Also about sharpening. It really depends on how sharp you want them. if you would rather spend more on knives, you could get them sharpened at a local store (yes i know, most of us [me included] would rather get a stone and do it ourselves) but you only need to do it a couple of times a year depending on how much you cook and it is not that expensive. Then you can save up for a good stone. Or you can use the wicked sharp method for very little upfront money (please practice with junky knife if you use the wicked sharp or a stone method).

My personal preference would be to get either a CarboNext or a Inazuma or Gekko gyuto 210mm and get a cruddy petty knife and a DMT fine diamond stone. That would put you in the range of about 150. But then i mainly use my chef knife for everything and if i need to peel something i use my peeler.

Please note: This is only after reading different forums. I'm still trying to decide on a knife to buy. I don't have any of these yet. So i can't give you direct feedback

welcome, both of you
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Welcome!

Spend all 150 on one knife. You won't regret it.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Welcome!

Spend all 150 on one knife. You won't regret it.
    I'm going to disagree slightly here with Eamon. I'd say you should get one knife and one stone.
    Suisin Inox Western 210 gyuto - $125 - http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...0mm-gyuto.html
    King 1200 grit stone - $28 - http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningst...p/king1200.htm

I know this is going to sound like a recording, but, call Jon at JKI.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"