Anybody here in Toronto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Toronto for a couple of days next week and thought I might see if any of you live in the area and want a free beer, eh :yammer: :biggrin:

Yeah, there are some of us from around Toronto :) When are you gonna be in town over here?

Most likely Wed/Thur/Fri...but not confirmed yet.

I live in Hamilton, about 45 minutes from Toronto.

I'm going to be in Toronto .... you live in the area and want a free beer, eh :yammer: :biggrin:

Careful with this guy. His 'eh' comment sounds like the typical US joke about English-speaking Canadians!

Careful with this guy. His 'eh' comment sounds like the typical US joke about English-speaking Canadians!

Yes it was! I've spent enough time in Toronto to know that it's a horrible caricature though...in fact, I've never heard anyone up there say it. The first smiley icon was also a reference to the way Canadian characters are drawn on SouthPark.

The first lesson in speaking Torontonian: pronounce the city name as "toh-rahn-oh", the second T is silent ;)

The first lesson in speaking Torontonian: pronounce the city name as "toh-rahn-oh", the second T is silent ;)

I got busted on this one my last trip up there! People kept smiling when I would say the name...eventually I found someone who wasn't too polite to tell me :)

Kinda like my home town, no one says, "lih-tull-rok"...it's almost Li'Rock. just the slightest L before the R.

Yes it was! I've spent enough time in Toronto to know that it's a horrible caricature though...in fact, I've never heard anyone up there say it. The first smiley icon was also a reference to the way Canadian characters are drawn on SouthPark.

Clever icon.

The 'eh's are a private thing we break out only when outsiders aren't around. You, sir, are not in the circle of trust!

Shh! Please keep stuff like this under your hat, Len. Hush-hush.

But I agree - and tire having to pronounce it 'To-ron-to' so that foreigners can understand.

Heh, that's nothing. Texas does this:
Montague = Mawn-Tay-G
Bowie = Boo-Ee
Denton/Sinton= Deh-in, Sih-in
Manchaca = Man-Check
Bois D'Arc = Bo-Dark
Palacios = Puh-Laa-Shiz
Refugio = Reh-Fur-ee-oh

Heh, that's nothing. Texas does this:
Montague = Mawn-Tay-G
Bowie = Boo-Ee
Denton/Sinton= Deh-in, Sih-in
Manchaca = Man-Check
Bois D'Arc = Bo-Dark
Palacios = Puh-Laa-Shiz
Refugio = Reh-Fur-ee-oh

Most of those are non-English names, so English speakers are bound to mess them up. I suppose if you pronounced them correctly no one would understand!

Knowledge of the original language definitely would be counter productive. I am really having a hard time * not* pronouncing some of those "correctly" :)

Even happens in Ontario with the French names; for example, Ouelette Ave - main street, Windsor, Ont, where I'm from - is pronounced 'OH-let.' That's pretty normal. (Oh-la-la!) However, the poor buggers down in Texas have those Spanish names to contend with, too.

New Orleans is like that too...all those French names, but so long separated from France that they have developed independantly. Like "Chatres" is pronounced "Charters." My wife was an exchange student to France and her French was pretty useless for N'awlins.

I live in skar-bir-ah ... We have out own versions of eh.... Usually followed by hand gun fire.

Where will you be staying?

Ahhh see the true scarberian tell when an outsider appears!! I've only been here for 8 yeaRs

Hi guys...plans are still up in the air. Might be flying in tomorrow for 2 days, or it might get bumped to next week. should know more later today.

OK, plans finally settled. Will be on the ground in Toe-rohn-o at 4pm ET tomorrow (aug 15), leaving noonish on friday (aug 17).

Currently schedule to have dinner with my manager on thur, so is anybody interested in meeting on Weds night?

What part of Toe-rohn-oh are ya gonna be in? Downtown area? Closer to the airport? Some other part o' town? :)

I actually live up north, so Markham/Richmnd Hill works fantastically well for me :)

But... who else might be able to join in, whether up north or back in the city proper?

I had quite an enjoyable visit with Len at a place called "Chili Secrets"....the presence of Chili in the title did not disappoint at the table either!

Thanks Len!

I'm going to assume this wasn't directed at me! :nono:

Hehe, no, and I'm not in TO anyway. It was just a bit of Toronto anti-suburbanite bias! :angel2:

I had quite an enjoyable visit with Len at a place called "Chili Secrets"....the presence of Chili in the title did not disappoint at the table either!

Oh no! I hope Len wasn't able to order his favourite spiced-hummus! :sad0:

Back