Quantcast
Gisele (wanring - long winded and pic heavy) - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gisele (wanring - long winded and pic heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Just a heads up that these are finally available f/ BWJ (I'm not gonna post the link - just head to ebay. It's the first knife listed in the gyuto seciton). He only has two listed as available. I'd love to see them go to members here, before they get knabbed up somewhere else.
    nice. i just requested they make a few in carbon. they look like quite a bargain!

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    nice. i just requested they make a few in carbon. they look like quite a bargain!
    Did the seller confirm they will make some white steel ones? Will they be the same thickness? (2.8mm sounds a little thick, it's thicker than the Masamoto KS for example).

he hasnt responded yet. if you have an ebay account and youre interested, you should request it too. blue way is pretty responsive to requests. i dont mind the thickness, i just wish they ran longer like 245-250mm instead of 237mm.

Quote Originally Posted by perneto View Post
    Did the seller confirm they will make some white steel ones? Will they be the same thickness? (2.8mm sounds a little thick, it's thicker than the Masamoto KS for example).
    2.8mm thick spine comes from the max they can get out of 3.0mm bar stock. It's really not very thick. The extra thickness allows them to get a much better convex grind on the face, which results in this being a much, much better cutter than their standard gyuto which is in the 2.2mm range. It's also much stiffer.

If you're concerned about thickness vs cutting ability, check out the Kato reviews (if you haven't already). Those knives are in the 6mm range, and the guys that have them say they are the best cutters they've used. I'm not trying to convince you one way or another, just saying that thin knives do not necessarily cut better than thick knives.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    i dont mind the thickness, i just wish they ran longer like 245-250mm instead of 237mm.
    Keiichi has told me they are working on a longer 270 model. My guess is the blade length will be propotionate to the 240 version.

When I first got my 240, I thought it was a bit short in length and height for my taste. I'm prefer 270's and a little taller at the heel. Since I've been using it so several months now, I've grown accustomed to it and really appreciate the size for it's combination of precision and general utility. It's an extremely versatile knife that does almost everything well, from psuh cutting veggies to slicing proteins and everything in between. But for sure I'll get a 270 when it's available.

I've found that Keiichi can take 1 - 2 days to respond due to the time difference from Japan and his work load.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by perneto View Post
    white versions will come out in 2-3 monthes. i hope 270mms come out around the same time.

Here's what he told me:

Will you offer this with an Ichii handle as well?
    I've also heard on kitchenknifeforums.com that white steel and 270mm versions were in preparation, I'm also interested.

Hello,
    Yes I will take an order for the knife with an ichii handle with $12 extra if you could wait a couple of months.
    Also yes the white steel 270mm version are coming up in a couple of months(maybe in Jan).
    Thanks in advance.

Has someone tried both the swedish stainless (which I think is 19c27?) and the white steel, with the Yusuke heat treatment?
    I was planning to get the white steel, but if there's no major sharpness difference, stainless could be good too.

I reckon it's Sandvik 13c26 (equivalent to Uddeholm AEB-L). I would imagine the Swedish @ RC61 would have superior edge retention than white steel. As far as "sharpness" goes, you are the limiting factor.

Yeah I'd go stainless. I got a White #2 suji a while ago but that was before I realised he'd do stainless at 61 HRC. I know many people say hardness ain't such a big deal but for the amount of use my knives get I'd rather keep them higher than lower

I could no longer resist and just bought the blonde ferrule version.

I was looking for a high performing stainless knife for quite sometime as i'm getting sick of the sticky patina of some of my carbon knives. If the geometry of the yusuke is as good as claimed then i'll be super happy as i was about to comission a very expensive stainless custom. I love saving money.

I'll report back when it arrives.