Quantcast
Gisele (wanring - long winded and pic heavy) - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gisele (wanring - long winded and pic heavy)

what other knives are you comparing the food release to? I'm just wondering how good, or bad, the food release is. Root vegetables sticking strongly?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    perneto, im not sure which new gyutos your talking about but i made some inquiries about a couple of the new lasers w/extra hardness and keichi told me theyre actually just the regular profile.
    I thought the new pictures looked more like the new profile, for example here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sak...-/380573788682

But if Keiichi said they were the regular ones, he must be right.

Quote Originally Posted by perneto View Post
    I thought the new pictures looked more like the new profile, for example here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sak...-/380573788682

But if Keiichi said they were the regular ones, he must be right.
    I got the same response from Keiichi last week. The KS profiles are on order (2.2 and 2.8 thickness) but there is no timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    what other knives are you comparing the food release to? I'm just wondering how good, or bad, the food release is. Root vegetables sticking strongly?
    The knife has a gentle spine to edge convex grind which favours ease of cutting rather than food release. Cut a potato in half and it releases fine, cut the half and there can be some sticking. The tip releases better but there still can be some sticking. Take half of a small to medium sized onion and push cut 1cm chunks and they tend to stick. On small to medium sized carrots, cut the thick end and it releases fine, cut the small end and there can be some stickage. I should point out that none of food sticks strongly and a quick flick of the blade removes them pretty easily.

that sounds pretty good given the price point. I'll just have to wait for the next round of "ks" to come along. Thanks for the input

are all the latest ones ks profiled? only the thin version is available at the moment, atleast for stainless. can he get custom ones made? i'd like to try this knife but a taller blade, 47mm is too short. and maybe 2.5mm instead of 2.8mm thickness.

i dont think the new yusukes have the ks profile. i think the listing would call it "flatter profile" or something like that if it was. but i could be wrong. yeah, blue way will put different handles on instead of ho wood if thats what you mean. i doubt theres a noticeable difference between a 2.5 and 2.8mm spine. Even at 2.8mm, the yusukes ks profiles are still real light and thin behind the edge. the 270mm lasers have a 2.4 spine if that helps your decision at all.

i dont mean handle, but the blade height, referring to how wide it is at the heel.

i send blue way japan questions all the time at ebay. keiichi is pretty fast at responding to inquiries. he will let you know what is and isnt possible.

i inquired about a taller version, will post update when they respond.

+ Reply to Thread