Quantcast
Gisele (wanring - long winded and pic heavy) - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gisele (wanring - long winded and pic heavy)

no custom orders =(
    the 270 thick version is 53mm though which is tall enough, do they tend to run short at all? i'm really not a fan of that length.

they run short. my 300mm suji was 10-12mm short if memorie serves. i would expect a 270mm gyuto to measure 260-262mm.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    no custom orders =(
    the 270 thick version is 53mm though which is tall enough, do they tend to run short at all? i'm really not a fan of that length.
    My "thick" 240 is 240 at the edge.

nice review..I always wondered about these knives

Want to get one of those but thinking about Carbon VS SS. What do you guys think ?
    And will the Ichii handle look good with blonde ferrule?

ive never owned an aeb-l steel knive but ive had several white ones and therefore i would go for a stainless, as the edge retetion is said to be better. white steel seems to lose it rather quick in comparison.

It's a win win situation. I favor stainless just because there are so few production stainless knives i like. Yusuke does a better job than most when it comes to white steel heat treating.

Recently, since I've actually sharpened my SS KS-clone instead of just touch-ups, I've found that the edge retention is not as good as white #2. White #2 may get a bit of a bad rap for edge retention, but I'm finding it better that some other steels I have, including the SS KS and the Blazen SG2. The SS will get just as sharp as white #2 for me, tho. On the other hand, the SS responds better to a touch-up on the MAC black rod and stropping.

On advantage to the SS is its non-reactive, and doesnít build up a patina. Iím finding that the patina has a slight drag effect on cutting, whereas the SS feels super-smooth.

Even though Yusuke/BWJ claims the extra-hardness of the SS is HRC61, it still feels a bit softer than white #2.

Itís a tough call, and Iím not sure which one Iíd pick if I were to do it all over again, knowing what I know now. Canít go wrong with either steel choice.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Both myself and kfed have noticed that yusukes white steel seems slightly harder and maybe a little more wear resistant than most white steel knives. It is surprising to hear that the masamoto ks has better retention than yusuke SS. Perhaps the masamoto edge is less delicate(thicker behind the edge)and this is keeping the edge from dulling as quickly?

I love patina so White#2 is the answer

What about Ichii handle with blonde ferrule, will it look good ?

+ Reply to Thread