Quantcast
Introducing Gesshin Kagero - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64

Thread: Introducing Gesshin Kagero

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    616
    How tough are these, compared say to a kono hd?

  2. #22
    Sponsors
    JBroida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    4,053
    A little less chip resistant, but with significantly better edge retention. Also, because of the grind, the heel is pretty stable... the tip is stupidly thin.

  3. #23

    Zwiefel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,189
    Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    A little less chip resistant, but with significantly better edge retention. Also, because of the grind, the heel is pretty stable... the tip is stupidly thin.
    Please forgive me...but for people with such deep sharpening skills, and such a love of using them...why would edge retention be so important? (Honest question.)
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

  4. #24
    The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    1,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Please forgive me...but for people with such deep sharpening skills, and such a love of using them...why would edge retention be so important? (Honest question.)
    If you're a professional chef you need it.

  5. #25

    Zwiefel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    If you're a professional chef you need it.
    What kind of time scale are we talking about? 1, 2, 3, 7 days?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

  6. #26
    Senior Member stevenStefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    What kind of time scale are we talking about? 1, 2, 3, 7 days?
    I usually go about 2 weeks with my HD. Edge retention is one of the most important things about knives I buy, and it is one of the reasons why I have moved away from using white #2 knives

    I like the edge retention of the HD a lot so these Kageros sound great

  7. #27
    AMP01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    36
    These look awsome Jon! How do these compare to the hattori fh gyutos?
    Cheers,
    Andrew

  8. #28

    Zwiefel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,189
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I usually go about 2 weeks with my HD. Edge retention is one of the most important things about knives I buy, and it is one of the reasons why I have moved away from using white #2 knives

    I like the edge retention of the HD a lot so these Kageros sound great
    That's 2 weeks of 4-6 hours of prep/day for 10 days? Sounds like quite a lot of product between sharpening sessions.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

  9. #29
    Senior Member stevenStefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    That's 2 weeks of 4-6 hours of prep/day for 10 days? Sounds like quite a lot of product between sharpening sessions.
    Yeah I'd say that's about right. I'm nowhere near as OCD as some others about sharpening though. I'm sure some others could offer their own times between sharpening. I have a Niolox suji that lasts a lot longer than the HD, I could go a month between sharpenings with it

  10. #30

    Zwiefel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,189
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    Yeah I'd say that's about right. I'm nowhere near as OCD as some others about sharpening though. I'm sure some others could offer their own times between sharpening. I have a Niolox suji that lasts a lot longer than the HD, I could go a month between sharpenings with it
    Thanks for the perspective!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts