Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64

Thread: Introducing Gesshin Kagero

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistington View Post
    Thanks youtube for just halting at the last 8 sec of this video!


    hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa Jon looks so bad

  2. #42
    Senior Member Chefdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Outside the Beltway
    Posts
    526
    These look very tempting. With them being very thin at the tip, are they also very flexible? For a frame of reference, how would you compare the toughness and ease of grinding compared to something average, say Mac or Masahiro (vg1?) ?
    I'm breaking in a brand new Kono HD right now, but honestly think its a little too thin and light for my preference. How does this compare for geometry behind the edge, or more spefically, feel on the board? I find the Kono feels slightly fragile at the edge if I make any lateral movement with the tip down (like when slicing chives quickly in the French style).

    Thanks in advance for any input on this. If it sounds right, I might unload the Kono quickly and try this instead...

  3. #43
    they dont have a lot of flex to them at all. Compared to mac and masahiro, they are less tough (read: less resistant to chipping), only slightly more difficult to sharpen, and have significantly better edge retention as well as superior geometry.

    when compared to the konosuke, they are thicker at the spine near the heel (thinner at the tip though), not quite as thin behind the edge, but still very thin. Using a rocking motion with these knives is probably not a good idea though (if thats what you're talking about with the chives).

    If you have more questions or want more in depth answers, give me a call at the store and i'd be happy to speak with you about this and other options in more depth.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Chefdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Outside the Beltway
    Posts
    526
    Will do Jon, thank you.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    62
    Jon,
    Wanted to post earlier, but got busy. Just wanted to thank you for an amazing knife, I received the Gesshin Kagero here in NYC on Thursday, love the knife! I've only used it a couple of times, but love the weight and personality of the knife—a pleasure to use—F+F on it is great. To be honest, I was a bit nervous at first, I had never bought a knife online before this purchase. Your email responses were helpful, and I chatted with you about the knife on the phone [didn't identify myself], and was impressed by your helpfulness and knowledge. Looking forward to getting to know the knife better, sweet blade!

    My challenge in the near future is learning to sharpen it properly. The stone I have is a King Combination 250+1000 grit stone that I've had for years, which has served my Sabatier and Wustofs well, is there a preferable stone grit that you'd recommend for the Kagero?

    Thanks again!

  6. #46
    if sharpening is new to you, just stick with the 1000 grit side of the king and work on technique for now... worry about adding new stones later when your technique is better

  7. #47
    Senior Member ThEoRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by DitmasPork View Post
    Jon,
    Wanted to post earlier, but got busy. Just wanted to thank you for an amazing knife, I received the Gesshin Kagero here in NYC on Thursday, love the knife! I've only used it a couple of times, but love the weight and personality of the knife—a pleasure to use—F+F on it is great. To be honest, I was a bit nervous at first, I had never bought a knife online before this purchase. Your email responses were helpful, and I chatted with you about the knife on the phone [didn't identify myself], and was impressed by your helpfulness and knowledge. Looking forward to getting to know the knife better, sweet blade!

    My challenge in the near future is learning to sharpen it properly. The stone I have is a King Combination 250+1000 grit stone that I've had for years, which has served my Sabatier and Wustofs well, is there a preferable stone grit that you'd recommend for the Kagero?

    Thanks again!

    Make sure that stone is flat if it is not already.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

  8. #48
    Senior Member Tatsuya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistington View Post
    Thanks youtube for just halting at the last 8 sec of this video!

    This needs to be cropped into an avatar, lol.

    Jon, I'm wondering how you guys plan on developing this line in the future in terms of additional styles, and if so whether or not wa-handles are in the cards.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatsuya View Post
    This needs to be cropped into an avatar, lol.

    Jon, I'm wondering how you guys plan on developing this line in the future in terms of additional styles, and if so whether or not wa-handles are in the cards.
    Your wa-handle idea is really interesting... we'll see if it's possible...

  10. #50
    Senior Member labor of love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    dirty south, louisiana
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara@JKI View Post
    Your wa-handle idea is really interesting... we'll see if it's possible...
    awesome. i would love to see a wa handle version also!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •