Quantcast
Introducing Gesshin Kagero
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Gesshin Kagero

Introducing Gesshin Kagero

Introducing Gesshin Kagero... the first powdered steel knife in the Japanese Knife Imports lineup. Check out the sweet knife cases these guys come with.
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...in-kagero.html

From the Product Description:
    "Gesshin Kagero knives are constructed with a stainless powdered steel core and softer stainless cladding. They have very good edge retention and take a very good edge. These knives have a really nice distal taper, rounded spine and choil, and good edge geometry. They are not as brittle as some other powdered steels, such as SG1 or SG2, but have equal (and sometimes better edge retention). They are also pretty easy to sharpen.

Each Gesshin Kagero knife comes with a padded knife case for you to store and transport your knife. Please use some kind of edge guard or sheath inside of the padded knife case."

You can also buy the padded knife cases separately here:
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...ases-bags.html

Is this a better version of the Ikeda/Akifusa/Artisan? If so, I dearly miss my Akifusa. I may need one of these as a replacement.

Nah, I'm betting it's that one we saw the preview of earlier. Is this the 30 HRC version or the 50?

Nice profile on them and I like the padded case.

Now that you have officially endorsed a PM knife I can't wait to have enough pennies to buy one.

-AJ

One of these would be pretty high on my list for next knife, except I don't like western handles. What is the grind like?
    Please use some kind of edge guard or sheath inside of the padded knife case.
    Will you have saya available for these at some point?

I don't know anything about powder steel knives...is there a primer somewhere?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Nice profile, nice distal taper, very cool lamination line. Great new addition, Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    One of these would be pretty high on my list for next knife, except I don't like western handles. What is the grind like?

Will you have saya available for these at some point?
    i'll see if i can find a saya that fits... we've been getting in a few extra sayas here and there. However, for the time being, it just comes with a clear plastic sheath (like many knives do in the box). This is enough to protect it inside the padded cases they come in.

The sides of the knife have a gentle convexing to them and the knife itself is close-ish to 50/50. Totally fine for either right or left handed users. Its similar in a way to the gengetsu knives we carry... not too thick, not too thin, and so on.