Quantcast
Introducing Gesshin Kagero - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Gesshin Kagero

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I don't know anything about powder steel knives...is there a primer somewhere?
    i talk a little bit about it in the video i put up. Here's the gist of it... powdered steels have more uniform grain structure and generally finer grain size given the composition of the steels. Many powdered steels tend to be pretty high carbon (for example sg1, sg2, and srs-15 are all about 1.5% carbon). Many also tend to have tungsten, vanadium, chromium, and other alloying elements that generally cause greater grain size, so the reduction in grain size becomes more relevant.

Powdered steels tend to take very keen edges and have great edge retention. Some can be very tough to sharpen, while other can be much easier. Most powdered steels have a tendency to "settle"... so, for example, lets say you sharpen a powdered steel knife to 100%. It may settle to 95% (even without you doing anything to it), but it stays there for a very long time.

So, the main point of powdered steels is great edge retention with very fine edges.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    replied via PM
    = Kind of, sort of, but WAY better.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Yeah, i think it's the same OEM-knife but with a better finish, cause the original Akifusa is pretty rough all-round and not rounded.
    The original Akifusa is a great performer but lacks in the fit & finish department, this looks like it's been refined quite well and as long as price hasn't been raised a whole lot, it should be a great knife.

I assume it's still SRS-15 Jon?

If it is as written above, these knives are a steal for the price and i love that padded case.

my diplomatic response:
    I would prefer not to say what the steel is in this case. Its not really a secret, but so often people get really caught up with the steel and statistics on paper without really trying to understand the knife. I've used these knives and almost every other japanese kitchen knife sold out there, so when people ask about how the knife is, how the steel is, and how the heat treatment is, i am able to talk in depth about that.

also, incoming pm

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    i talk a little bit about it in the video i put up. Here's the gist of it... powdered steels have more uniform grain structure and generally finer grain size given the composition of the steels. Many powdered steels tend to be pretty high carbon (for example sg1, sg2, and srs-15 are all about 1.5% carbon). Many also tend to have tungsten, vanadium, chromium, and other alloying elements that generally cause greater grain size, so the reduction in grain size becomes more relevant.

Powdered steels tend to take very keen edges and have great edge retention. Some can be very tough to sharpen, while other can be much easier. Most powdered steels have a tendency to "settle"... so, for example, lets say you sharpen a powdered steel knife to 100%. It may settle to 95% (even without you doing anything to it), but it stays there for a very long time.

So, the main point of powdered steels is great edge retention with very fine edges.
    I spent about 2 hours on google and only learned about 25% of this....thanks for the very informative reponse and the video too.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I spent about 2 hours on google and only learned about 25% of this....thanks for the very informative reponse and the video too.
    thats what i'm here for... just ask when you have questions.

The Gesshin Kagero Gyuto I recieved today is giving my Konosuke HD a run for its money. Jon, you did a great job developing this knife. I will post a full review after I give the knife a good workout.

glad it made it there safely... the distal taper is really nice, no?

The distal taper is awesome! it feels really great in the hand. I was really impressed just holding the knife, then I diced some onion and it got even better.

+ Reply to Thread