Quantcast
Introducing Gesshin Kagero - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Gesshin Kagero

Wa with or without the bolster? It shouldn't be that bad to grind down the tang into a Wa style tang and leave the bolster at the front of the ferrule...

John, it's handle is made of pakkawood or something else?

I'd be interedted to hear any feedback from people who've been using one of these gyutos. Any comparisons to other knives and/or other random observations. Thanks.

Noone???

Jon,
    Does this steel respond to touch-ups, either on a finishing stone or strop, or when it finally dulls does it need to go back to the bottom and start over? I know it's got great edge retention, but how would you say it wears? Does it kinda drop to say 90% then just hold, or is it more of a SLOW, even degradation?

I'm itching to try a PM stainless, and this looks like the front runner.

I only know one person who has one of these and while they love it, it's their first jKnife so they have absolutely nothing to compare it against....unless you want to hear that it's much keener and more lithe than Wusthoff

Keep hoping someone living close to me will get one...
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I just bought one after using a coworkers and it's a great knife. Honestly, this is my new goto western @ $200 knife recommendation. Steel takes a great edge and holds it very well. Edge retention pretty much is the most important thing to me, and the Kagero delivers. The knife made prep fun again, in what feels like years. Spine and choil are nicely rounded. Handle F&F could be a bit more polished. But in all, freakin' fantastic knife. And this is coming from a carbon guy. Just traded away my Masamoto KS to pick this up.

I'll put up some pics and more detailed impressions once I work with it for a while. Can't wait to get the thing

Thanks again, JKI!

Quote Originally Posted by jayhay View Post
    I just bought one after using a coworkers and it's a great knife. Honestly, this is my new goto western @ $200 knife recommendation. Steel takes a great edge and holds it very well. Edge retention pretty much is the most important thing to me, and the Kagero delivers. The knife made prep fun again, in what feels like years. Spine and choil are nicely rounded. Handle F&F could be a bit more polished. But in all, freakin' fantastic knife. And this is coming from a carbon guy. Just traded away my Masamoto KS to pick this up.

I'll put up some pics and more detailed impressions once I work with it for a while. Can't wait to get the thing

Thanks again, JKI!
    Thanks for the input!

Sponsors
    there are quite a few of these out there now days, but many of them are chefs who are not on the forums (spread across the US and a few abroad)

Jon,
    Have you found the wear resistance to pose any problems with stones other than your gesshin line? IE: Chocera, shapton, bester, etc.? Obviously, they'll all cut at different speeds, but does having a certain type of abrasive make a significant difference?

+ Reply to Thread