Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are you going?

much more awesomer

Where are you going?

Across town, across the country, across the globe: everybody is going somewhere. Where are you going?

I have serious wanderlust. I spend most waking hours daydreaming of being somewhere else, anywhere else. At any given moment, I'm in various stages of planning any number of future trips. I keep a notebook handy for ideas and inspirations, and abuse Evernote on my Android phone.

I am sure I'm not the only one here who wants to embrace places, cultures and foods that are "foreign". Whether that's taking in a performance of TaikOz with the Sydney Symphony at the Opera House to coho fishing in Watertown, New York; taking in a fast-paced Aussie rules football game at the fabled Melbourne Cricket Ground to watching the genteel mayhem of Sunday cricket matches at King City in the Toronto 'burbs; or chowing down on burnt ends and beans at Fiorella's Jack Stack in KCMO to getting messy with chilli crab at a beach restaurant on Singapore's east coast. If it's somewhere I haven't been, or something I have yet to try, it's fascinating to me.

Where are you going?
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Whe I was younger, I was planning to go for a trip to ten different countries, that interest me, and life year in each.

These were
    England
    Finland
    Greece
    Italy
    Spain
    New Zealand
    Brasil
    Thailand
    Russia
    France

So far made only 20 % fully. Now dont have time, money or head to go.

I'm sure if some of you traded in your knife/stone collections you could fund quite a trip!

much more awesomer
    LOL!

Cutty I'm interested in your past travels, but where are you planning to go next?
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Home would be nice for me. lol. Traveling with work takes a bit of the fun out of it.

much more awesomer
    Very true.

In the early 90s I was a tour group leader, spending weeks at a stretch abroad, and all I wanted to do was get home. I had traveled all my life -- dad managed a couple of large travel companies -- and wanted to be more settled.

These days, it's the opposite. I don't earn much money (I guess that's just like a lot of folks in the hospitality biz), so I got a job in an industry that enables cheap travel.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

much more awesomer
    My next one: quick weekend in Tokyo with my sister -- her first visit.

Arrive at Haneda late on a Thursday, head to a manga kissa in Shinbashi for a couple of hours, then take in the bluefin auctions at Tsukiji followed by nigiri breakfast at one of the market sushi bars. Shopping at Tsukiji, then a trek up to Asakusa and the temples. A nap at the hotel (in Ginza) then up to the Tokyo Domu in Bunkyo for a Giants-Swallows game and then a late supper in Ginza. Saturday morning exploring the Imperial Palace grounds, then over to Sumida and the Kokugikan in Ryogoku for the second-to-last day of the September Bashō (floor-level box seats if I'm lucky). Back to Akiba and Ginza for the evening before heading back to Haneda for an early flight to the States and then home. Optionally, one extra day in Tokyo to explore more.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I don't know. I have a Delta credit I need to use before the end of September, any suggestions?

much more awesomer
    Anywhere!

How about NYC and the Korin ECG?
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Anywhere!

How about NYC and the Korin ECG?
    I forgot about that, might be what I do.