Quantcast
deba vs. sujihiki

Thread: deba vs. sujihiki

deba vs. sujihiki

The guys who break down all manner of fish -and whole pigs- use MAC and Misono sujihiki's. I'm thinking of asking them to teach me and wonder if I'd substantially benefit from a deba. Like some chefs, suji's are their primary knives.

Or should I just stick with my Kanemasa E-Series?
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

depends on the technique you're going to learn. If they dont use deba, chances are they wont be able to teach you good deba technique.

Makes sense.

Both are highly skilled/fine dining guys, and one worked at Morimoto here in Philly for a few years breaking down fish but doesn't know from a deba. His technique is definitely different and less refined than Theory's so I guess I'll stick with the suji.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Yep, the sushi bar I worked at, they didn't use Deba to cut fish, so I learned a sort of bastardized technique, and found doing it with a medium to short suji was easiest. I later learned to use a Deba(somewhat) on my own, but a big to what Jon said.

Learn their way, then teach yourself deba technique. It's good to know both. I wouldn't dream of breaking down fish without a deba now...