To celebrate our 700th thread on KKF ... I give you the mandatory forum hot sauce thread !

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Love me some Melindas-

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Aw, man. That just let's you know the stuff is working...

This what we use down here , but we have so many good places to buy fresh and dried chilies i always make some type of sauce to go with a dish.
made some tonight with roasted poblano , green onion ,garlic and cilantro
and bitter orange and lime .

I've got me some of this, Blair's 2am. Liquid death. 1/2 teaspoon in some chili does wonders.

1979-2T.jpg

Y'all should really try making some of your own hot sauce. I do an asian-style chili sauce (think that little jar of red chillies in oil you get at every table in a real Chinese restaurant) every couple of years, and I vastly prefer it to anything I've ever purchased.

52821860.jpg

37874438.jpg

47116411.jpg

71650365.jpg

hands down my favorite hot sauce is Scorned Woman

1130-2T.jpg

close second is Crystal

for adding into chili and sauces I like endorphin rush

Crystal is my personal favorite. Beats all the other Louisiana hot sauces in my opinion. I use it po' boys, jambalaya, gumbo, etc. I tasted almost every single one commercially sold in New Orleans when I was there and I kept going back to it.

I used to hate Tapatio, but then I started eating it on breakfast taquitos. The vinegar is just right! Great stuff.

I really like Tabasco, Tapatio, and Sriracha. Just keep that Cajun Chef away.

I'll try that Melinda's stuff!

Mmmm--love me some hot sauce of all kinds: sriracha, Blair's, tapatio, Bronco Bob's etc. I'm starting to get into making my own as well; sambal olek and Harissa are up this weekend!

This one has quickly become my favorite. It's made with green habaneros and nopales. Even though it's got habaneros it's not too over the top for daily use. Delicious.

yhst-9885588416968_2150_8861132

My first take at a hot sauce. Its mainly cayenne with a little piquin thai and chipotle thrown in

content___media_external_images_media_417.jpg

Never seen that one nopales and habanero might have to do a batch
i have nopales in my canyon . I do like the combo of carrots and habanero .
maybe tunas /prickly pear / and habanero
there is a guy named Dave Dewitt that has books out about chilies .

I've had the scorned woman before.. its OKAY.. Blairs origonal death is really one of my favorites..

I use Louisiana Gold hot sauce in my house, I love the wood-aged character that it exhibits. I like to cook with the Vietnamese chili-garlic sauce that comes in jars with the green lid (not Sriracha sauce). Besides that, I make my own vinegar pepper sauce in bottles and habanero jelly preserves.

Crystal is my personal favorite. Beats all the other Louisiana hot sauces in my opinion. I use it po' boys, jambalaya, gumbo, etc. I tasted almost every single one commercially sold in New Orleans when I was there and I kept going back to it.

Agreed

displayimage.php

Tripped on these and could not resist.

Just recently got some of that Melinda's stuff. I'm on a nutritional detox, so my diet is pretty boring--this stuff has no heavily processed ingredients and tastes very interesting! Thanks for the recommendation!

You guys should try Portuguese Piri-Piri Frango sauce.
I make my own (in-laws family recipe, with a few tweaks) with a bit more kick, but it is AMAZING stuff. It's literally at every restaurant in Portugal, and for good reason!

I make my own (in-laws family recipe, with a few tweaks) with a bit more kick, but it is AMAZING stuff. It's literally at every restaurant in Portugal, and for good reason!

OK, we're waiting for the recipe... :hungry:

Rick

Just recently got some of that Melinda's stuff. I'm on a nutritional detox, so my diet is pretty boring--this stuff has no heavily processed ingredients and tastes very interesting! Thanks for the recommendation!

Glad to hear you like it, which one did you get?

is it a secret or are you going to share the formula?:hungry:

Well, it's kind of done by feel. I guess I can give you a rough recipe... Haha
*These are all approximate*
1-1.5 Tbsps of Sriracha
Half a sweet onion (fine dice)
6 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 Tbsp of olive oil
1 Tsp of balsamic vinegar
S and P (big pinch) and another half pinch of sea salt
1 bottle of Pilsner (some use white wine, but I don't like it as much)

Take the whole thing and blend it until it's a fine, somewhat pulpy consistency.
It works AMAZINGLY on rotisserie chicken, but I use it on ribs, burgers, even as a condiment. The stuff is great!

Back