Quantcast
GMO - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GMO

I personally hate Monsanto and try my best to eat locally grown heirloom varietals whenever possible. Just like many things, there are risks and benefits. I happen to just like natural foods, grown by traditional agriculture without genetic modification. I also enjoy my meat animals to be grown free range without hormones or antibiotics. The problem is the risks (some known and some unknown) to neighboring farms and people who consume the food.

All this being said, I'm just an old happy hippy, so it works for me
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Monsanto sucks. All agricultural products are the product of genetic modification, whether done by a Mesoprotamian armed with a stick or a biologist armed with retro viruses. There is no such thing as natural agricultural. I'm done with this, as nobody who already has a negative opinion of gmo, due to whatever stupid, probably anti-vax, source they read, will listen.

All agricultural products are or have been selectively bred which is different than genetic modification by means of Monsanto and like companies. Traditional (natural) agriculture in my mind is using selective breeding techniques, organic fertilizers and no pesticides. It is more labor intensive, produces great tasting food that cannot be trucked across country and still be 'ripe.' That's all I am trying to say. As to reading, there are many things that you could read that would make you change your mind on either side of this debate. I read quite a bit as well and this is how I formed my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    All agricultural products are or have been selectively bred which is different than genetic modification by means of Monsanto and like companies. Traditional (natural) agriculture in my mind is using selective breeding techniques, organic fertilizers and no pesticides. It is more labor intensive, produces great tasting food that cannot be trucked across country and still be 'ripe.' That's all I am trying to say. As to reading, there are many things that you could read that would make you change your mind on either side of this debate. I read quite a bit as well and this is how I formed my opinion.
    There is no biological difference.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    Monsanto sucks. All agricultural products are the product of genetic modification, whether done by a Mesoprotamian armed with a stick or a biologist armed with retro viruses. There is no such thing as natural agricultural. I'm done with this, as nobody who already has a negative opinion of gmo, due to whatever stupid, probably anti-vax, source they read, will listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    The only thing all of my reading on this topic has made me sure of is that both sides have a strong tendency to oversimplify the issues.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    What????
    Tell that to the cotton farmers in India.
    Chewie's the man.

Sure there is...anything that can be grown in Florida and shipped to New England and still be at it's peak (though not very good) is completely different than something I can grow in my yard, pick at the peak of freshness and eat ripe off the vine. The Monsanto lawyers would argue this point all day and it is why they can prove the difference or similarities if it works to their advantage in court. They sell this story all the time, their plants are 'genetically superior' because they have been bred for specific purposes. Not trying to be argumentative, but again this is Monsanto's argument that makes all the patented seeds they produce so valuable--and so supposedly secretive.

If genetically different is not biologically different then we have a discussion that cannot be resolved.

At least we both agree that Monsanto sucks!

Asking this is almost like asking for a political or religious discussion! I for one am anti GMO. I buy Organic whenever possible, whatever that means.

I have to disagree with you there. Yes, selective breeding has occurred throughout the ages and it does favor certain genes and mutations over others, and it eventually creates new species, but it's a more natural process than GMO. With selective breeding, we're dealing with the plant in it's original form and changing it slowly by emphasizing certain attributes. GMO, however, introduces alien genes into the host genome, which leads to the production of alien proteins in the host.

The biological difference between GMO and selectively bred organism is the presence of alien proteins and their effects on the life functions of the host organism.

So I watched that video and next thing I know I'm watching some Brits jacking off a super bull with a big gulp sippy cup!!!! You have been warned!!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/