Quantcast
GMO - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GMO

One other very important thing to remember is that the great potato famine occurred because the Irish had decided that one type of potato was all they needed to grow. Once something new attacked it, they lost everything, had there been some genetic diversity among the potatoes being grown, there is a convincing argument that the famine never would've happened. Think we only need one super breed of corn, potato, tomato, etc.? This argument is what Monsanto is selling farmers throughout the world.
    If Monsanto thinks they can outsmart nature, then they should look into the most recent medical conundrum involving antibiotics and gonorrhea.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Ah animal husbandry at its best.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    One other very important thing to remember is that the great potato famine occurred because the Irish had decided that one type of potato was all they needed to grow. Once something new attacked it, they lost everything, had there been some genetic diversity among the potatoes being grown, there is a convincing argument that the famine never would've happened. Think we only need one super breed of corn, potato, tomato, etc.? This argument is what Monsanto is selling farmers throughout the world.
    If Monsanto thinks they can outsmart nature, then they should look into the most recent medical conundrum involving antibiotics and gonorrhea.
    that is a political and business problem, not a science one.

The biggest problems with GMO crops is not the crops themselves, but our insane agribusiness and patent laws.

The problem that those causes(Monsanto, Bayer, et al + US Government) that is greater than the GMO problem is the monoculture problem. Most of the issues with GMO crops would be negligible or nullified altogether if it didn't lead to 4,000 unbroken acres of one variety of aggressive corn.

I buy as local as I can, from the people I like the most.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    The biggest problems with GMO crops is not the crops themselves, but our insane agribusiness and patent laws.

The problem that those causes(Monsanto, Bayer, et al + US Government) that is greater than the GMO problem is the monoculture problem. Most of the issues with GMO crops would be negligible or nullified altogether if it didn't lead to 4,000 unbroken acres of one variety of aggressive corn.

I buy as local as I can, from the people I like the most.
    +1

As always, the consumer/farmer needs to educate themselves and take well-understood and appropriate risks.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    corn, wheat, rye, watermelon, bananas, everything else we grow and eat, are GMO foods. Europe has crazies they can't shoot. that's their problem.

Humans does not know anything about genes, DNA is one huge mystery, we even have a problem with naming proteins, yet we push for the hardest tasks without even thinkig of concequences.

So now, can you tell me for sure, 100 % clarity, straight, one word answer, that GMO is safe? And Im not saying about some chinese growing 3 legs or arms, but can you assure me, that i 50 years perpective, were not going to have any additional[read: difficultier] problems with soil, health of people or animals, air, insects and so on.
    Im neither like or dislike it, but when I read about Monsanto and such, I know they dont give any shite about worlds hunger. Ony thing they care about is their dollar-hunger, thats about it.

The other problem I see is that we try to make everybody equal.
    [while the fellow in netherlands producing fake-lab-meat]
    Poors in africa/china/india/wherever have to get their steak like we here do, so we could feel better. For me its not, this is not the way to go.
    Lets get back to basics - youre poor, sorry, or youre lucky and you make it and give better chances to your kids or f*ck off and die!
    I know it doesnt realy sound politically correct, but hell, if we continue to grow worlds population like we do, and even if monsanto invents corn that is a size of buss, we are not going to make it.

nothing is 100% safe. many foods that were "traditionally modified" are not safe. oxygen isn't 100% safe. mother's milk isn't 100% safe. nothing is. foods and other products that are modified by humans in labs have to pass stringent safety tests. if you take medications that are prescribed to you by a medical doctor then you are tacitly approving the same regimen required for GMO safety.

This is all Gregor Mendel's fault damn Augustinian friars!

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    This is all Gregor Mendel's fault damn Augustinian friars!
    yep, him and his stupid pea plants.

I've been enjoying this discussion except for the personal insults, etc. Please keep the talk civil, we don't all have to agree and we're all entitled to our opinions.

I'm off to remove some of the inappropriate comments/posts.

+ Reply to Thread