• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Aritsugu A-type 270 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck239

Reaction score
Well, it is time to start unloading some knives. Here is a thinned 270 A-type, thinned for a righty (because thats the way the knife is ground. Knife comes with a saya. Asking $200 PP and shipped.

-Chuck

atype1.jpg
atype2.jpg
atype3.jpg
atype4.jpg

What is the actual blade length on this? Can I get a photo of the spine? Just trying to understand the thickness or reason it needs to be thinned. Thanks

(I've never had an 'A-type', and I can't speak for this one, but)...Aritsuga A-type gyutos have a reputation of arriving NIB with barely any of the final grind or finished edge on board, of being a real 'be-yatch' to work on the stones, and for being as close to 99/1 as you'ld see in any production gyuto.
They also have the reputation of being amazing workhorses once tuned up.

(I've never had an 'A-type', and I can't speak for this one, but)...Aritsuga A-type gyutos have a reputation of arriving NIB with barely any of the final grind or finished edge on board, of being a real 'be-yatch' to work on the stones, and for being as close to 99/1 as you'ld see in any production gyuto.
They also have the reputation of being amazing workhorses once tuned up.

I don't know how the A-type gained the reputation for being so difficult to get an edge. After owing a 240mm for 1 and 1 /2 years, I find it's no more difficult to put a razor's edge on it than any of my other knives. So for anyone interested in this knife, don't be put off about any difficulties with sharpening this knife.

I actually like the polish on the thinned blade road. Go figure. Up against the "brushed" machine finish it gives a yin-yang appearance to it. Then again, I'm easily dazzled by nonsense.

I have a 270mm a-type as well. It's a pain to thin. Definitely worth getting one where the work has been done for you.

How lefty-friendly would you say this is Chuck? Did you ever see Brandon from FF's pictures of his A Type that he converted to a lefty?

How lefty-friendly would you say this is Chuck? Did you ever see Brandon from FF's pictures of his A Type that he converted to a lefty?

I'd like to see that. Thinning these are a task and I'd imagine converting one to be lefty friendly would be a major undertaking.

This one is pending... Waiting to hear back from 2 people.

-Chuck

I have never seen those photos. I never really hung out on FF. this one is righty and I don't think you could convert it to a lefty gring. The left side is very flat. I have a suji that I tried to grind the left side and it literally didn't work. The right side ground very nice, the left side did not. But using the knife as a lefty never bothered me.

-Chuck

Back