• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Blazen 240

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck239

Reaction score
I'm putting up my Blazen 240 gyuto. I bought this used and who ever had it before me refinished it with a mirror polish. Great knife, gets very sharp, had excellent taper and holds a great edge. Main reasons I'm letting it go, I have a rehandled 270 and do not use this one anymore. Have not used it in months so figure its time to get it a new home. Looking for $200.

-Chuck

blazen 240.jpg
blazen 240 2.jpg
blazen240 3.jpg

Ok, price drop! $180 AND I will throw in free sharpening from Jon at Japanese Knife Imports!

-Chuck

... Have not used it in months so figure its time to get it a new home.

-Chuck

What's that supposed to mean, then I would have to sell 80% of my collection ;)

I think the Blazen is still a very nice all-purpose gyuto even if it doesn't get as much press anymore as a few years ago. I use mine regularly and it's not even thinned out.

Stefan

Great gyuto. I'd buy it if I didn't already own one. GLWS.

if I didn't just buy a gesshin kagero I would be all over this

fwiw, its at my store right now and is getting sharpened tomorrow for whoever ends up with it

Haha does posting more photos of my new knives count. Because I have 4 very nice knives that are not in my gallery.... :sofa:

-Chuck

Just took delivery - thanks Chuck! Will report back with my impressions of my first Japanese Knife! (Hand sharpened by Jon!) Very excited!! :bliss:

First thoughts - balance. Right out of the saya, in a pinch grip, this knife feels different from anything I have ever held. The weight of it, and the balance of it - just awesome. It just feels... better than my cheaper knives. Sorry for the novice description, but I don't know how else to describe it. When held in a pinch grip, I felt that the knife was perfectly weighted and balanced for me to do some substantial cutting, under control.

Visually, the knife looks good. Jon cleaned up the highly polished finish and left it a bit less shiny polished looking (which I appreciated.) After visually inspecting the blade, the most stand-out quality to me was the distal taper. This knife gets stupid thin at the tip. I also was visually intrigued seeing the clad line (I believe that is that it is) above the edge. I believe this is where the core SG2(?) meets the pm(?) stainless? Still trying to understand how that works, what the different steels mean, and how to wrap my mind around how this is accomplished. I tried to inspect the angles of the bevel, and I clearly have some learning to do there. Struggled to really identify anything unique about it other than how brilliantly clean it looked (thanks Jon!) I need to look closer to try to understand the edge geometry so I can attempt to replicate it when I get around to sharpening.

I didn't have much time to actually cut with it but did work my way through a thick carrot. The knife is stupid sharp. My wife was afraid to hold it. She'll come around one of these days! I was impressed with how uniformly the knife wanted to cut from the heel to the tip. I noticed how balanced the knife was cutting a carrot when I found that the knife cut as easily towards the tip as it does towards the heel. I am used to cutting closer to the heel since most of my other knives seem to get increasingly dull towards the front (or were never sharpened correctly towards the tip) and require much more exertion on my part. Also none of my knives are as thin as this.

I expect that this weekend will generate quite a bit more chopping - I am thrilled to really give this a true test drive. Initial impressions - awesome!

Also, a thank you to Chuck - due to delays in shipping he included a bar of soap from JKI which should help me get the gunk off my hands after sharpening. Very good process and Chuck was great to deal with - great first purchase experience!

Will report back again after some more work. In the meantime, I continue to enjoy learning about this hobby! My wife already rolls her eyes when I start talking knives. I must be doing something right!

Nice report! Might want to touch base with Jon on the phone when you are ready to sharpen and he can give you a good idea of edge angles and maybe a few pointers to get you started. A loop may not be a bad idea either as it will aid in visual inspection (20-40x).

Congratulations! Keep us informed.

it's really great to see another knife knut in the making. it puts a smile on my face. thanks for posting your initial impressions, the blazen is a knife I've always wanted to try.

Thanks for the review! About the edge: I guess Jon has applied a very obtuse one side microbevel on very flat bevels. It's actually quite hard to recognise, so give him a call. If I'm right you just have to maintain the microbevel.

i dont think i used a microbevel on this one, but i sharpened a lot of knives that day, so its tough to remember everything... sorry

Just another update - my knife love is growing. I have been using the Blazen frequently, and it is just a beast. Really has set a new standard for what a knife can be. Last weekend I was breaking down a bunch of potatoes, and I just had one of those jaw dropping moments. I have never cut potatoes with a knife that doesn't wedge. Not ever. This thing just floated through potatoes and it was a moment that only you guys can appreciate. I tried to get my wife to cut a piece and she just laughed at me and said that she was glad that I was happy with my purchase.

Next major step is practicing sharpening on my older shun 6000 stone. I intend to practice on a few junk knives I have laying around and then on to my gyuto (after a few more weeks of enjoying Jon's handiwork!)

I want to thank everyone here for their generosity and information - it's a unique community of people with a really cool set of interests.

And now onto my next knife... purchasing one of those parers from Del! Very excited - I love doing hand work and am excited to get working on some fruits and veggies with my first handmade knife! I will continue to learn and monitor, and throw in my two cents at whatever point I have something worth sharing. Until then - keep up the great work, and thanks again for the help! Loving it here!

Back