Quantcast
Changing water for the Gesshin stones - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing water for the Gesshin stones

bleach doesnt really have any negative effect on soaking stones... many resinoid stones and magnesia stones on the other hand, dont like bleach water as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    Bleach? I thought of this, but I'm not sure how sensitive the chemistry of the stones is and what might occur. Plus bleach has that short half-life.

At any rate, unless you're a sharpening pro and always at it then your water probably sits around giving rise to some sort of ecosystem, and I at least wouldn't want my stones immersed in that. Okay, you won't use those blades for medical surgery, but appetite-wise at least I wouldn't want to be messin' with nice knives and skanky stones. The stones will absorb water and most of whatever else, presumably. Bacteria bricks!
    Even bacteria have to eat something, lol. If you have water and rocks, the only stuff left to eat is the container or soap residue, etc. Pick any of your body parts. I'd bet there are more and weirder bacteria there than there are in my stones...maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Even bacteria have to eat something, lol. If you have water and rocks, the only stuff left to eat is the container or soap residue, etc. Pick any of your body parts. I'd bet there are more and weirder bacteria there than there are in my stones...maybe.
    Yup - and you seem to know things about my body parts that even I had no idea about! Still, I'd like to picture even my cheap stones in a pristine, crystal-clear, free-running mountain spring water environment - and if not, then dry. Yes, stones tend to enjoy a very pleasant lifestyle in my home.

I change my water weekly and add a little bleach to prevent mold growth.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    I leave my soakers submerged full time and only change the water when I get really inspired. So much hassle with all the... you know... dumping of the water. And filling of the water. Bah.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    I leave my soakers in water all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I leave my soakers submerged full time and only change the water when I get really inspired.
    Well....slap me on the @$$ and call me Charlie. Stupid interwebz lied to me!

From now on I'm going to pop them in the water when I get up on a sharpening day and not worry about it so much anymore. Glad I spoke up and got corrected. Thanks guys!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Well....slap me on the @$$ and call me Charlie. Stupid interwebz lied to me!

From now on I'm going to pop them in the water when I get up on a sharpening day and not worry about it so much anymore. Glad I spoke up and got corrected. Thanks guys!
    Just make sure your stones can be left in water. Not all can. Most naturals can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Just make sure your stones can be left in water. Not all can. Most naturals can't.
    Kitayama and Mizuyama?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

The Kitiyama is basically a splash and go. Though I do like to soak it for 5 minutes or so before I begin. It's pretty much the only stone I don't have permasoaking.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

At any rate, in my Korean kitchen & apartment I don't have the luxury of space for a permanent sharpening zone where appropriate stones can sit in murky water until the next sharpening session. I've already seen a couple of photos of people's custom-built home knife display cabinets, etc, and was wondering where some of you do your sharpening? Does anyone have a purpose-built sharpening room? Wouldn't be surprised! I will use the plastic table on the balconey outside, or the kitchen counter, and when done will have to put everything away.