Japanese Knives Changing water for the Gesshin stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmm

Reaction score
How regularly should you change out the water of the Gesshin stones when you leave them to sit in it. Cheers.

When you see mold on your container or it's dirtier than you like. The stones themselves (soakers) should be fine indefinitely.

Just don't leave your stone in the water indefinitely!

lol... you guys crack me up. I leave my soakers in water all the time. My water gets changed daily (sometimes more), but the gist of it is to change the water before it starts to get funky. You can also add a tiny bit of bleach to your water to help it stay clean longer.

Bleach? I thought of this, but I'm not sure how sensitive the chemistry of the stones is and what might occur. Plus bleach has that short half-life.

At any rate, unless you're a sharpening pro and always at it then your water probably sits around giving rise to some sort of ecosystem, and I at least wouldn't want my stones immersed in that. Okay, you won't use those blades for medical surgery, but appetite-wise at least I wouldn't want to be messin' with nice knives and skanky stones. The stones will absorb water and most of whatever else, presumably. Bacteria bricks!

bleach doesnt really have any negative effect on soaking stones... many resinoid stones and magnesia stones on the other hand, dont like bleach water as much.

Bleach? I thought of this, but I'm not sure how sensitive the chemistry of the stones is and what might occur. Plus bleach has that short half-life.

At any rate, unless you're a sharpening pro and always at it then your water probably sits around giving rise to some sort of ecosystem, and I at least wouldn't want my stones immersed in that. Okay, you won't use those blades for medical surgery, but appetite-wise at least I wouldn't want to be messin' with nice knives and skanky stones. The stones will absorb water and most of whatever else, presumably. Bacteria bricks!
Even bacteria have to eat something, lol. If you have water and rocks, the only stuff left to eat is the container or soap residue, etc. Pick any of your body parts. I'd bet there are more and weirder bacteria there than there are in my stones...maybe. :O

Even bacteria have to eat something, lol. If you have water and rocks, the only stuff left to eat is the container or soap residue, etc. Pick any of your body parts. I'd bet there are more and weirder bacteria there than there are in my stones...maybe. :O

Yup - and you seem to know things about my body parts that even I had no idea about! Still, I'd like to picture even my cheap stones in a pristine, crystal-clear, free-running mountain spring water environment - and if not, then dry. Yes, stones tend to enjoy a very pleasant lifestyle in my home. ;)

I change my water weekly and add a little bleach to prevent mold growth.

I leave my soakers submerged full time and only change the water when I get really inspired. So much hassle with all the... you know... dumping of the water. And filling of the water. Bah.

I leave my soakers in water all the time.

I leave my soakers submerged full time and only change the water when I get really inspired.

Well....slap me on the @$$ and call me Charlie. Stupid interwebz lied to me!

From now on I'm going to pop them in the water when I get up on a sharpening day and not worry about it so much anymore. Glad I spoke up and got corrected. Thanks guys!

Well....slap me on the @$$ and call me Charlie. Stupid interwebz lied to me!

From now on I'm going to pop them in the water when I get up on a sharpening day and not worry about it so much anymore. Glad I spoke up and got corrected. Thanks guys!

Just make sure your stones can be left in water. Not all can. Most naturals can't.

The Kitiyama is basically a splash and go. Though I do like to soak it for 5 minutes or so before I begin. It's pretty much the only stone I don't have permasoaking.

At any rate, in my Korean kitchen & apartment I don't have the luxury of space for a permanent sharpening zone where appropriate stones can sit in murky water until the next sharpening session. I've already seen a couple of photos of people's custom-built home knife display cabinets, etc, and was wondering where some of you do your sharpening? Does anyone have a purpose-built sharpening room? Wouldn't be surprised! I will use the plastic table on the balconey outside, or the kitchen counter, and when done will have to put everything away.

I'd love to have Jon change water at least once a day.... We wash our face at least twice a day, brush our teeth three times a day... why not stones?

I'd love to have Jon change water at least once a day.... We wash our face at least twice a day, brush our teeth three times a day... why not stones?

Absolutely! Especially considering how stones are so much more important.

bleach doesnt really have any negative effect on soaking stones... many resinoid stones and magnesia stones on the other hand, dont like bleach water as much.

Jon, one has to be really stupid to question your wisdom regarding knives. Here goes!!! Won't any bleach negatively affect carbon blades vis-a-vis' rustING?

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Jon, one has to be really stupid to question your wisdom regarding knives. Here goes!!! Won't any bleach negatively affect carbon blades vis-a-vis' rustING?

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

its such a small amount and i dont recommend using the soaking water with chlorine as sharpening water... just for storing the stones. It sucks when you splash yourself and get light colored spots on your clothing

Ha!! As long as he changes his underware daily,you're ok.... :D

Back