Quantcast
Lodge Carbon Steel Skillets vs. de Buyer? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lodge Carbon Steel Skillets vs. de Buyer?

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Thanks Edipis, I was confused, and now I am less confused:>) Actually think I may have to try out one of the Lodge steel pans now.
    you should! they are a good value, definitely. i would strip off the factory seasoning, though.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    you should! they are a good value, definitely. i would strip off the factory seasoning, though.
    Why? I had my doubts about their seasoning until I saw the process. As I said they do a better job putting on an initial even coat than you can at home.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    The lodge cast iron (love) and steel (really like) are different.
    Yes. Other than both being iron based, steel and cast iron are radically different materials. Ergo very different pans.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Why? I had my doubts about their seasoning until I saw the process. As I said they do a better job putting on an initial even coat than you can at home.

-AJ
    it was rough on mine.

So my wife came home with one of the lodge carbon steel pans from Sur La Table. I took it back the next day. The seasoning was flaking off and you could see a lot of over spray near the handle. My De Buyer pans are way better than the lodge carbon steel pans. I think the lodge would be nice for camping if you didn't want to take your nice skillets with you. Personally I would prefer the lodge skillets without any seasoning.

I'd much rather season a pan myself so I know it was done right. I own a few Mineral B Debuyers pans (99% pure iron) and they are great. They are lighter than Lodge Cast Iron (less mass) so they don't hold heat quite as long.

But the big reason I like my Debuyers is because the handle doesn't get hot like a Lodge Cast Iron pan.

If you want to make apple pie or do some heavy duty camping or baking, nothing beats old school Cast Iron. But for crepes and fried egg and other stovetop use, I prefer my Debuyer.

I hate the process of seasoning, but it's sooo nice when those fried eggs glide off your pan.

+ Reply to Thread