Quantcast
Looking for info on some knives I inherited
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for info on some knives I inherited

Looking for info on some knives I inherited

My father was a blade nut for a while. He got into knives as a result of being a sculptor and working with wood chisels frequently. Knowledge of steels and sharpening transcended the shop and took him to the kitchen. I inherited some of his kitchen knives, but I haven't been able to track down much info on the manufacturers of 3 of them. I'd appreciate any insights anybody could offer as to their history, etc.

Also, does their patina look healthy, or should I clean them up?

One is a 12" slicer, I believe it says Lenox Highspeed (the bolster obscures part of the text).

The other is a Maturi Cleaver

The final is a usuba. Judging by the cheap metal bolster, lack of markings on the blade, and slight curve of the spine, I assume it's probably some cheapo. But it gets sharp as all get out.

So are these all just cheap, uninteresting blades? I'm just curious when Lenox (who I see "highspeed" branded sawblades and disposable razors by) forayed into kitchen blades.

A saw turned into a knife?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I think the slicer probably is an old Lenox band saw blade made in to a serviceable knife, especially as the handle covers much of the maker's mark. As to the other stuff, if you like them and enjoy using them, clean them up and put them in to service. Heck, it's part of your legacy man, and although I don't feel any need to hold on to everything our folks leave us with, if it's important to you, then therein lies it's value.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgraypots View Post
    I think the slicer probably is an old Lenox band saw blade made in to a serviceable knife, especially as the handle covers much of the maker's mark. As to the other stuff, if you like them and enjoy using them, clean them up and put them in to service. Heck, it's part of your legacy man, and although I don't feel any need to hold on to everything our folks leave us with, if it's important to you, then therein lies it's value.
    +1 Well said Tom.
    I think the Lenox is especially cool. Almost like a working piece of folk-art. So nice to keep the family pieces working in the family.
    No matter how high the throne,
    there sits but an ass.

Knowing my dad, that's exactly what it is. He was a woodworker and tinkerer, so I'm glad to know there's a little something special in the story behind that slicer

+ Reply to Thread