Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Crazy Nakiri WIP - for our crazy friend

A Crazy Nakiri WIP - for our crazy friend

Mark has been sending me some extra chunks of wood for my personal stash.
    I get to make him a crazy knife.
    This may take a while as what with everything else it will be an hour here, hour there. Plus it will be a bit of an experiment for me trying some new ideas.
    Its all pretty make it up as you go along, but this is what we have so far, 3 twisted bars, 2 clockwise twist, one anti-clockwise. One is a 40 layer of en42 and 15n20 with 3 strips of nickel in there too That will likely be on the spine. The other 2 bars are 5 bold layers of 01 and 15n20 with pure nickel accents so will be super contrasty.
    I cut them down into chunks to mull over some ideas of construction. I think I will make an explosion pattern to reveal on the edge and some of these bars will be split and welded inside out so the star part of the twist shows on the spine, then reveals on the ground bevel bits.
    I will clean these bits to reveal the pattern so I can continue to think and add bits to make up a composite pattern.
    Anyway here is what we have so far

Oooooo twisty patterns, this'll be good
    What grind'll you be going for?

It will be fully ground so all the mascus shows, but i'll go for the hollows and double bevels, should work out very interesting with the damascus reveals...not quite sure how yet.....i'm sure what ever it will be a surprise when I grind it

Someone a damascus maker who will not be named told me it couldn't be done. The Viking twisted pattern on a kitchen knife and here it is. Can't wait to see it.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I like the pink bar on the left. If I buy the die, can I commission a Hello Kitty Damascus?

Could be due to compression, i.e the blade needs to be forged out so much the twist stretches and opens up too much, so you end up with more of a soft opposing random twist, that could well happen here, but i'll try and work with it with some other elements... its all fun and learning

You certainly can Eamon, it will be like a hot knife through butter

It sears and portions in one slice!

Had a couple of hours to play with some of these bits, got a kind of test run together to see how the patterns work forged out. I cut the bars lengthways into 4, so as to reveal the core pattern and to avoid too much forging out and unravelling of the pattern. As an experiment I arranged them alternately with the core upright on one, the twisty sides on the next, this will change again when its ground, so i'll see. Had quite a stack of narrow bars to forge together, which was fun.

This one has an piece of 80 layer random dammy on the edge, without nickel.

This is gonna be cool!