Quantcast
Forged Stainless mono, Nakiri ,with hollow geometry, prototype
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forged Stainless mono, Nakiri ,with hollow geometry, prototype

Forged Stainless mono, Nakiri ,with hollow geometry, prototype

I got this one all handled and finished. I have been testing it daily for the last few days, made a video today too, which will be uploaded shortly.
    So the specs, this one is a forged swedish steel, fully stainless @ 62 hrc. It is mono steel, not a san mai blade.
    Its a small blade 146mm cutting edge, quite tall at 58mm. The tickness on the spine above the heel is just under 3mm, tapering to 1.5mm on the spine above the tip. No where near as dramatic a taper as on one of my Gyuto, but with the hollows above the edge, it just doesn't need it. The bevels are flat and stone finished with a micro bevel. Above the bevel on each side there is a soft ground hollow, this has been hand finished.
    As this is a prototype I inscribed Will.C. on the top of the knife, I need to get a nice forge stamp made for this type of finish in the future.
    So here are the pics. Hopefully will show the special details. Video to follow. I've been making some bad a**e chilli con carne
    The handle is stabilized walnut burl, with Vascota burl both ends.

Very keen to hear what you guys think on this one.
    Thanks all,
    Will

Once I have given it a bit more testing I will put this one up for sale on my site, as a prototype.

Looks great, and I don't mind that handle at all.

I like the geometry on it. The edge profile with the front corner belly may be an acquired taste I think you'll have fun testing it out!
    Len

Looks like about 60% of the blade is flat for your choppin' and you can rock with the rest of it. I think it'd work well.

Thanks Guys, yes I thought a bit of belly towards the tip would make it a bit more versatile, making more usable tip for cross and sectional cuts in onion. I've done some herbs with it and it does rock very well too. T.B.london is lending me a Nakiri, very kind....so I can have a play with a more traditional height and profile.
    I suppose the main thing I wanted to test here is the hollows above the bevels.... This video is taking an age to upload. Should give you a good idea on how it cuts though.

Looks really great, how much did this cost him?

I find the "sharp" tips that most nakiri have to be quite nice for cross-cuts on garlic and onions. The "hard" corner makes it just like a gyuto tip for that task as far as I'm concerned.
    Len

I am not a fan of the front,the blade height,or the rocker for a Nakiri. This is of course just my honest feelings on this prototype. I am a huge fan of your work.

Yeah, i will have to agree with the rocker, nakiris should be much flatter at the tip.
    But i love the aesthetic of the grind.

Thanks Guys, your honest feedback is invaluable, this is my first Nakiri, i'm sure there will be more. So flatter profile, with a more angular tip? Would fit a more traditional version of the knife. I do like the height....but...probably with more length Practically, this one could easily be 50mm and not make any difference to how it cuts, just a little to weight and handling.
    CandleJack, this one was not a commission, it is a prototype. After my testing, if someone likes it.... I will let it go for a discounted price, as its a test piece. It all helps pay the rent....

+ Reply to Thread