Another "which knife" question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypnos

Reaction score
What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
21 or 24cm gyuto with a symmetrical bevel. I'm a lefty and do not care to spend 50% more for an appropriate asymmetrical blade.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
I want to upgrade from my Shun classics. They are perfectly acceptable, but I have the itch to try something new.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- seems fine to me
Edge Quality/Retention- not so great, but I'm really still learning to sharpen my knives.
Ease of Use- satisfactory. I could use some more knuckle room when using the 6in utility knife. Also would like a longer flat area on the 8in chef knife.
Comfort- would like to try a slightly larger wa-handle.

What grip do you use? Pinch

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Push mostly.

Where do you store them? In the box that they arrived in.

Have you ever oiled a handle? No

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? Wood and poly. Will be getting a better end-grain board soon.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
Sharpen on a DMT Duo fine/extra fine. Ceramic honing rod for daily touch-up.

Have they ever been sharpened? Only by myself.

What is your budget?
My budget is liberal; however, I have not been at this long enough to be comfortable throwing down large. Also, I suspect that knives, like wines, have points of diminishing return with regard to price-quality.

What do you cook, and how often? Cooking is not my occupation. I'm a home cook and am in the kitchen whenever possible. I like to make everything, but no one will eat sushi - I go out for that.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? I'm tempted to try carbon steel, or maybe a different type of stainless.

That custom is a really nice knife. Glad I am not lefty or my wallet might be lighter.

That is a GREAT deal for one of Mario's knives. I have one of his knives and it is great. I highly recommend them.

Back