Experienced Deba users chime in...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Messy Jesse

Reaction score
I work the fish section and have done so for the better part of the last 2 years. I've been using a Masamoto KK 180mm Deba the whole time, and use it for a good part of my day. Although I can get it screaming sharp, lately I've been feeling the edge dying on me sooner than I'd like.

I was just hoping to hear from some of you guys that use a deba heavily every day. What do you like to use? I've been strongly considering getting a Blue 2 Deba, or trying a different maker...

Cheers.

try one made from 52100. look up Bruce Barnett in Perth or Keith Fludder there in or near Sydney. Bruce has been to My shop on several occasions to learn the intricacies of 52100 and my method of heat treating so he would be my first choice.

I hate to be so narrow minded, but I would probably only ever consider traditional makers and traditional carbon steels...

Can't comment on edge retention since I'm just a home cook. But Frank (Iron Chef Knives) still has Suisin white #2 180mm deba for 289 to your door. You can get Hide deba in white #2 for about 250 or blue #1 for about 450. Jon is vouching, of course, for both brands, should be worth considering.

Or treat yourself and get a Shig deba from Maxim. 180mm one (170mm cutting edge) is still available.

Wombat? Too slow I think. Probably either Tassie Devil, or the Giant roo.

I emailed Maxim, we'll see if he gets back to me.

How do you like your Shig deba, schanop?

Maybe check out JCK? Mizuno has a pretty good reputation for their Blue Steel HT. Or you could order one from Watanabe. Or A-frames might be able to get you one from Aritsugu.

Have you considered bringing in a touch-up stone to work? Seems like you could just keep on cruising after a couple minutes on a ~5k stone.

Just got it last week including Maxim's hand made saya. Fit & Finish is as usual, excellent. It feels lighter and nimbler than typical 180mm deba. Since I cook for only a handful of people, this is a great size for me to handle fish not bigger than 3kg most of the time.

Had only tried it OOTB with minor touch up on rainbow trout and large sand whiting. Feels great so far.

Here's an interesesting quite from Dr.Naka about Shigefusa deba:

The steel of Shigefusa knives are hard that you can scratch soda lime glass (I think it is 63 to 64 HRC) .
I asked whether such hardness is needed for thick knife like Deba and what he thinks of chipping.

The answer was:
" Many professionals who cut fish like the sharpness and durability of my Deba. It may chip against hard fish bones but you can still cut after that. If the Deba get dull you cannot cut a fish anymore. These professionals want to finish a shift with only 1 knife."

I think same reasoning is applicable to Hide Blue #1 deba too.

I'm not sure if you'd be interested, but I have a Suisin carbon yo-deba that I've been using for almost 10 years. I'm sure it's quite a bit softer than a traditional deba (as well as requiring very slightly different technique), but the advantage is that I can quickly bring the edge back on a ceramic rod and finish my fabricating w/o trouble. It's no beauty queen, but I don't mind since its inexpensive and virtually indestructible.

Jon doesn't ship to Australia... :(

Too much trouble with postage eh, Jon?

had trouble with international shipping... lots of problems with Australia. Working on starting back up again soon. We also now can recommend some freight forwarders which we have experience with (and are currently open to this option).

I have a 180mm blue #2 deba from watanabe that I've been using for about 5 years. Amazing knife. I'm not sure on his prices now though. I only wish I had bought a 210mm. I'd love to try the Hide deba someday though.

Don't know if you currently micro-bevel your deba (frontside only) but that may be worth a go for increased edged retention with out decrease in funds.

I sharpen it with a very solid hamaguri, a part of me just wants a new deba though...

In that case, just get something new.

I dont think its blades fault.

Back