Quantcast
Fluoride?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fluoride?

Fluoride?

What do you guys make of fluoride? US residents have had this stuff poured down our throats our entire lives being told that it's good for us, but is it really?

what's with the conspiracy theories lately, Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    what's with the conspiracy theories lately, Dave?

Truth isn't a conspiracy theory

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Truth isn't a conspiracy theory
    the truth is that fluoride at the levels added to drinking water is very safe for the vast majority of people and has a substantial and demonstrable protective effect on teeth.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Water fluoridation does decrease cavities in children (I forget the exact number, but it's not negligible), but the amount that is currently allowed to be in drinking water is too high. Right now fluoride is allowed to be at 4mg/L in the United States while the WHO recommends 1.5mg/L: http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_...water_full.pdf

Edipis: "Very safe for the vast majority of people" isn't a particularly comforting phrase. I'd go with what the WHO recommends.

I'm glad the water in Hawaii is fluoride free. If I lived anywhere else I'd have a pretty substantial water filtration system to get that **** out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Water fluoridation does decrease cavities in children (I forget the exact number, but it's not negligible), but the amount that is currently allowed to be in drinking water is too high. Right now fluoride is allowed to be at 4mg/L in the United States while the WHO recommends 1.5mg/L: http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_...water_full.pdf

Edipis: "Very safe for the vast majority of people" isn't a particularly comforting phrase. I'd go with what the WHO recommends.
    Agreed. I use flourinated rinses and floss. Getting flouride this way has been shown to be much more effective than via drinking water.

Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I've been told my entire life that Fluoride is needed for the good health of my teeth. I've paid for fluoride treatments during dentist visits and I've consumed city water that contains fluoride in the hopes of making the most of what fluoride has to offer.

Then I had my first child, she has very bad decayed tooth problems, which led me to research what was happening to her. For he first few years of life we were living in a house that uses well water exclusively, we were advised to mix formula (which we used as a breast milk supplement) with a special fluoride enriched water to help the baby's teeth (which she didn't even have at the time). We did as we were told and then as she began to move away from breastmilk and formula we were advised to continue using the fluoride enriched water to cut her juice that she was starting to drink off and on. Again we did as we were told. Then she almost instantly developed large dark circles on her front top teeth - almost overnight this happened. We took her to the dentist and were told that she had baby bottle tooth decay. We assumed that we had exposed her to too much juice and formula and that we hadn't cleaned her gums/teeth enough and blamed ourselves. She needed to have all of her front top row teeth surgically ground down (in a hospital under anesthesia) and caps installed - this killed us to watch.

After a few years we moved and then had a 2nd child who did not have this happen to (although she too has some similar damage that occurred from a fall) - poor girl. We assumed that we were now doing things better than we did with our first child but truthfully we were doing things the same with the exception of now using bottled water for mixing of the formula.

So now another couple of years go by and we're still trying to figure out why this happened to our oldest daughter but still assuming it was our fault somehow. Then a discovery is made, we hear that the CDC & ADA have just released an advisory article warning parents to not give flouride containing water to babies....

"Recent evidence suggests that mixing powdered or liquid infant formula concentrate with fluoridated water on a regular basis may increase the chance of a child developing ... enamel fluorosis."
    "
    We dug a little deeper into what "enamel fluorosis" is and guess what we found? Yup, that's exactly what our daughter has/had.

So the argument could be made for the exposure level being at play here and the fact the she was a baby (etc) and I would agree that this had a role in this situation. However my view on fluoride is that what sense is there to ingest a known poison, industrial waste, just for the sake of better teeth? Even if there is some benefit to the teeth why would we ingest the poison, why not swish it around and spit it out like we do with toothpaste containing fluoride? Also, if there is nothing to this then why are so many other countries removing or have banned fluoride from their drinking water?

I don't know, it's all too fishy and stinks a bit too much for me but I'm curious what you guys think about this?

'Better living through chemicals', my friend. Corporate controlled government cares about you!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

+ Reply to Thread