Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ohh boy ohh boy ohh boy

ohh boy ohh boy ohh boy

got a message from UPS

my board is on the way (I'm very excited, can you tell)

I hardly ever get new toys.

For the uninitiated (me) how do you suggest I treat the board prior to it's first use. I have plain mineral oil and plenty of beeswax.

from what I've read I think I'm supposed to lather it down with mineral oil a couple times, let that soak in (will take a couple days) and then coat the top with a mineral oil/beeswax compound - let that set overnight and wipe the residue off the top

is that basically correct?

That is correct sir. A few light applications of mineral oil,let soak and then the bees wax compound. Enjoy!!

Get some board wax it works very well. It isn't essential but I prefer to have it.

yep same here mine shipped yesterday and bacause I am lucky enough to live in Virginia, I am gettingit today

As far as maintenance the mineral oil treatment will work, but a mixture with bees wax will be better.
    here is the recipe to make it at home

1 cup (240 ml) pharmaceutical grade mineral oil (inexpensive and available at drugstores, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.)
    2 ounces (57 g) pure beeswax
    heat the wax till it is melted, use double boiler, then add the mineral oil stir well pour in w/e container you want to store it in and use when cool. It will turn whitish when ready to use.

Here is the link to the full process
    http://andreasrecipes.com/2009/03/23...utcher-blocks/

So what kind did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by mc2442 View Post
    So what kind did you get?
    I just got vanilla maple 16x22, but it's not hard to beat the 10x14 bamboo board I've been using

one day when I rebuild my kitchen I will get something a little fancier.

They are everything they're cracked up to be. Mine is used in a commercial kitchen and has held up amazingly well.

got mine several days ago

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    They are everything they're cracked up to be. Mine is used in a commercial kitchen and has held up amazingly well.
    My first BoardSMITH board (maple) came several days ago, and wow, even the *packaging* was first-rate. Shrink wrap and lots of styrofoam blocks to protect the board and feet, professional invoice/packing slip and mini-catalog/care guide. Slightly discolored lower bottom block, but that's the nature of wood, and it does not affect functionality. Big thumbs up!

Just got a call from my wife,

UPS just delivered, these last 15 minutes at work are going to DRAG

(it's cool though, in a week I will be a full time knifemaker)

Hey Stephan, congrats! I hope to make the transition some day to "Knifemaker" Good luck, and best wishes!!

Pierre

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com