ohh boy ohh boy ohh boy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephanFowler

Reaction score
got a message from UPS

my board is on the way (I'm very excited, can you tell)

I hardly ever get new toys.

For the uninitiated (me) how do you suggest I treat the board prior to it's first use. I have plain mineral oil and plenty of beeswax.

from what I've read I think I'm supposed to lather it down with mineral oil a couple times, let that soak in (will take a couple days) and then coat the top with a mineral oil/beeswax compound - let that set overnight and wipe the residue off the top

is that basically correct?

That is correct sir. A few light applications of mineral oil,let soak and then the bees wax compound. Enjoy!!

Get some board wax it works very well. It isn't essential but I prefer to have it.

yep same here mine shipped yesterday and bacause I am lucky enough to live in Virginia, I am gettingit today :) :dance::grilling:

As far as maintenance the mineral oil treatment will work, but a mixture with bees wax will be better.
here is the recipe to make it at home

1 cup (240 ml) pharmaceutical grade mineral oil (inexpensive and available at drugstores, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.)
2 ounces (57 g) pure beeswax
heat the wax till it is melted, use double boiler, then add the mineral oil stir well pour in w/e container you want to store it in and use when cool. It will turn whitish when ready to use.

Here is the link to the full process
http://andreasrecipes.com/2009/03/23/beeswax-paste-for-cutting-boards-and-butcher-blocks/

So what kind did you get?

I just got vanilla maple 16x22, but it's not hard to beat the 10x14 bamboo board I've been using

one day when I rebuild my kitchen I will get something a little fancier.

They are everything they're cracked up to be. Mine is used in a commercial kitchen and has held up amazingly well.

They are everything they're cracked up to be. Mine is used in a commercial kitchen and has held up amazingly well.

My first BoardSMITH board (maple) came several days ago, and wow, even the *packaging* was first-rate. Shrink wrap and lots of styrofoam blocks to protect the board and feet, professional invoice/packing slip and mini-catalog/care guide. Slightly discolored lower bottom block, but that's the nature of wood, and it does not affect functionality. Big thumbs up! :thumbsup:

Just got a call from my wife,

UPS just delivered, these last 15 minutes at work are going to DRAG

(it's cool though, in a week I will be a full time knifemaker)

Hey Stephan, congrats! I hope to make the transition some day to "Knifemaker" Good luck, and best wishes!!

Pierre

yep same here mine shipped yesterday and bacause I am lucky enough to live in Virginia, I am gettingit today :) :dance::grilling:

As far as maintenance the mineral oil treatment will work, but a mixture with bees wax will be better.
here is the recipe to make it at home

1 cup (240 ml) pharmaceutical grade mineral oil (inexpensive and available at drugstores, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.)
2 ounces (57 g) pure beeswax
heat the wax till it is melted, use double boiler, then add the mineral oil stir well pour in w/e container you want to store it in and use when cool. It will turn whitish when ready to use.

Here is the link to the full process
http://andreasrecipes.com/2009/03/23/beeswax-paste-for-cutting-boards-and-butcher-blocks/

i make the same thing for my blocks, but also use it for my vulcanite pipe stems. :)

got the board out as soon as I got home and BethAnne thought I was going to make dinner on it.

took a while to convince her that it would be better to oil it properly and wait till tomorrow.

she loves the board too.

I'll post pics in a day or two (I'm working on a damascus gyuto for Dave to sell that I think will photograph with the board very nicely.)

Back