Quantcast
Time To Switch To Bing
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time To Switch To Bing

Time To Switch To Bing

I do a lot of searching for knife/stone related stuff on the web. In the past couple of months I've noticed that google's results have shown a real decline in quality. Apparently around June google made a change in their search algorithm; the result has been termed "domain crowding" by webmasters. What happens is that the same domain will appear multiple times on the first results page. I searched for "king 800 stone" on google. 6 of the top 8 results were youtube (guess who owns youtube?). For the same search in bing, 7 of the top 8 results were different (unique) domains, with only 1 youtube.

In a search for "shigefusa knife" on google, the top 12 results had only 3 domains: zknives, japan-tool and CKXX. The top 12 on a bing search included japan-tool, zknives, epicedge, kitchenknifeforums, aframestokyo, japanwoodworker, ebay, and CKXX.

There are theories that google tweaked the algorithm to maximize ad revenues as opposed to search relevance. We'll never know, but until it changes I'm going with bing.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I haven't tried bing lately, but when I did I didn't like the results.
    Chewie's the man.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by wsfarrell View Post
    I do a lot of searching for knife/stone related stuff on the web. In the past couple of months I've noticed that google's results have shown a real decline in quality. Apparently around June google made a change in their search algorithm; the result has been termed "domain crowding" by webmasters. What happens is that the same domain will appear multiple times on the first results page. I searched for "king 800 stone" on google. 6 of the top 8 results were youtube (guess who owns youtube?). For the same search in bing, 7 of the top 8 results were different (unique) domains, with only 1 youtube.

In a search for "shigefusa knife" on google, the top 12 results had only 3 domains: zknives, japan-tool and CKXX. The top 12 on a bing search included japan-tool, zknives, epicedge, kitchenknifeforums, aframestokyo, japanwoodworker, ebay, and CKXX.

There are theories that google tweaked the algorithm to maximize ad revenues as opposed to search relevance. We'll never know, but until it changes I'm going with bing.
    Couldn't it be that you've spent more time on google so they know which sites you usually go to and optimize the results based on your past viewing history?

Yep i think thats what they do, i notised i get different results on different computers and different places

Google knows when you go to the bathroom.

I admit it. I've googled myself in the bathroom before.

This program does a nice quick job of erasing computer history. I use it every day.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by tkern View Post
    I admit it. I've googled myself in the bathroom before.

Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    This program does a nice quick job of erasing computer history. I use it every day.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Maybe I'll give that a try...thanks Keith

I opted out of google tracking 8 months ago, so that's not the issue. Here's a link on how to do it:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...-tracking-you/

+ Reply to Thread