Quantcast
Time To Switch To Bing
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Time To Switch To Bing

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    314

    Time To Switch To Bing

    I do a lot of searching for knife/stone related stuff on the web. In the past couple of months I've noticed that google's results have shown a real decline in quality. Apparently around June google made a change in their search algorithm; the result has been termed "domain crowding" by webmasters. What happens is that the same domain will appear multiple times on the first results page. I searched for "king 800 stone" on google. 6 of the top 8 results were youtube (guess who owns youtube?). For the same search in bing, 7 of the top 8 results were different (unique) domains, with only 1 youtube.

    In a search for "shigefusa knife" on google, the top 12 results had only 3 domains: zknives, japan-tool and CKXX. The top 12 on a bing search included japan-tool, zknives, epicedge, kitchenknifeforums, aframestokyo, japanwoodworker, ebay, and CKXX.

    There are theories that google tweaked the algorithm to maximize ad revenues as opposed to search relevance. We'll never know, but until it changes I'm going with bing.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Crothcipt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Posts
    3,502
    I haven't tried bing lately, but when I did I didn't like the results.
    Chewie's the man.

  3. #3
    The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    1,872
    Quote Originally Posted by wsfarrell View Post
    I do a lot of searching for knife/stone related stuff on the web. In the past couple of months I've noticed that google's results have shown a real decline in quality. Apparently around June google made a change in their search algorithm; the result has been termed "domain crowding" by webmasters. What happens is that the same domain will appear multiple times on the first results page. I searched for "king 800 stone" on google. 6 of the top 8 results were youtube (guess who owns youtube?). For the same search in bing, 7 of the top 8 results were different (unique) domains, with only 1 youtube.

    In a search for "shigefusa knife" on google, the top 12 results had only 3 domains: zknives, japan-tool and CKXX. The top 12 on a bing search included japan-tool, zknives, epicedge, kitchenknifeforums, aframestokyo, japanwoodworker, ebay, and CKXX.

    There are theories that google tweaked the algorithm to maximize ad revenues as opposed to search relevance. We'll never know, but until it changes I'm going with bing.
    Couldn't it be that you've spent more time on google so they know which sites you usually go to and optimize the results based on your past viewing history?

  4. #4

    maxim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,970
    Yep i think thats what they do, i notised i get different results on different computers and different places

  5. #5
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fleetwood, PA
    Posts
    9,302
    Google knows when you go to the bathroom.

  6. #6
    Senior Member tkern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    596
    I admit it. I've googled myself in the bathroom before.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Keith Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    381
    This program does a nice quick job of erasing computer history. I use it every day.

    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

  8. #8
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fleetwood, PA
    Posts
    9,302
    Quote Originally Posted by tkern View Post
    I admit it. I've googled myself in the bathroom before.

    Google Earth

  9. #9
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fleetwood, PA
    Posts
    9,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    This program does a nice quick job of erasing computer history. I use it every day.

    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

    Maybe I'll give that a try...thanks Keith

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    314
    I opted out of google tracking 8 months ago, so that's not the issue. Here's a link on how to do it:

    http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...-tracking-you/

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts