New prebuy stainless paring knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
I have 13 of these blades made up and heat treated.
They are approx 172mm long overall with a 67mm blade.
Unlike most of my other knives, these will have no bolsters, just one handle material.
Choice of handle wood.
They are AEB-L and heat treated and cryoed like the other stainless blades I have done.
I will start on these a week from today(8-22)
first 13 get one, I may do others in the future.
Price shipped $110
Deposit of $55, balance to be paid upon completion.

I plan to have a pic of the finished one tomorrow.

prebuy paring.jpg

I am in.

I think you need to show the finished product or, at least a finished blade.

I keep coming back to this thread, guess I'm trying to tell myself something. I'm in!

I have been looking at a few pairing knife options lately. I may be in pending tomorrows reveal.

Can you give the blade width at its widest point? Doing some quick math, it looks like the widest spot in the blade is 1". Thanks!

paring wood.jpgok, heres an update, I got the paring glued up earlier, but it hasn't set yet so I can't finish it until the morning.
I have a list of woods to choose from
buckeye see pic (top row)
red elm see pic (bottom row)
black ash burl (this is the wood I put on the finished paring)
amboynia
The red elm is particularly cool because I havn't used it on any of my kitchen knives yet, I have a small supply of it, but it is a bit too thin to use on the larger knives.

These are the primary choices, but if you have another fav, just ask. I would like these to be handle material I have in stock.
I am working on a list to see how many spots are left right now.
Thanks,
Del

You got it right that the blade is 1 inch at the widest point.

We have 9 so far, 4 have sent deposits. only 4 more openings.
I'll try and finish the paring knife as early in the morning as possible, but I have had a bit of trouble with mornings lately. I need a new coffee maker(among other things).
Thanks,
Del

I'm still interested in one of these. How would I go about submitting a deposit?

ok,
so here is the finished paring, would have posted it earlier, but the wifes car wouldn't start and I had to take her to work.

And with that I have 13 reserved. :viking::viking:
With as fast as these went, I may do this again soon, but I do have other projects in mind. I may do the next batch in carbon, maybe even with an option for damascus.
Thanks,
Del

finished paring r.jpg

finished paring l.jpg

What a great little knife.

I'm always a day late and a dollar short on Ealy group buys.

Del, how about another batch of spoons?

Got a new coffeemaker yesterday after spending most of the day with extended family,my nephews 3rd birthday party. I'm not up for maore than one cup a day, so I bought one of the little ones. Nobody around here makes a strong enough brew for my taste, so I finally broke down and got one. set it up last night, so it would be ready for me this morning. I flipped the switch this morning and after a few minutes had my cuppa. :viking: Good stuff, I am trying out a couple of varities, I like the darker richer blends, none of that winey lightly raosted stuff for me, agchhhhh.
So, I actually feel perky at the moment and am heading back out to the shop, I figure on doing some grinding today, I have a couple of damascus bars to ship and a nakiri to work on. Maybe if things go smoothly, I'll do some forging later on.
Thanks,
Del

Am I the only one that thinks this could be a sweet little neck knife with some minor changes (maybe a shorter, low profile handle and a different grind)?

Lol Kyle, not at all.
I had the exact same thought when I saw the finished pic.

Future versions may need a kydex sheath option!

I have made neck knives with a similar blade profile, with a slightly different handle. I have played with kydex a bit, but was never very happy with it. Maybe I'l have to reexamine that material.
Thanks,
Del

I have made neck knives with a similar blade profile, with a slightly different handle. I have played with kydex a bit, but was never very happy with it. Maybe I'l have to reexamine that material.
Thanks,
Del

For the record, I'd be more than willing to buy a neck knife without a sheath.

These knives look pretty sweet and both the buckeye and red elm look like they're ready to be made into killer handles! If you do another pre-buy like this at the end of the year/start of next I'd be very interested! (Gotta be a bit thriftier for a while in between though... ;) )

some progress for the day, that coffee perked me up enough to get moving, and get a good amount of grinding done.
:viking:

100_1108.jpg

A little more progress, 4 with handles glueing up. the rest of the blades are finished up to the point of hand sanding. I'll be glueing another batch tomorrow. These will get finished tomorrow and will be ready for shipping either tomorrow or saturday. I'll be sending pms out tonight. Speaking of which there are a few of you that requested a place and havn't sent a deposit or choice for a handle. You will be getting pm's tonight as well. I have a few people that have requested these after it filled up. If I don't hear from you proptly, you might lose your place.
More pics later.
Thanks,
Del

100_1110.jpg100_1109.jpg

Looking good Del!
Thanks for showing the progress.

Looking good Del!
Thanks for showing the progress.

Sure,
yours is one of those pictured.
I havn't done knives this small for awhile and I really want to say thanks to all who will be getting one of these. I finished a gyuto last week and they are always fun, but they are a ton of work. These little guys were a real blast. I always hand sand to finish the blades and handles, and hand sanding a guyto takes awile. These guys on the other hand go pretty quick, and I really feel like I am accomplishing something in a day working on these. I love making all sorts of knives, and I do like the challenge of the larger knives, but sometimes you want something thats quick and easy. Like making a grilled cheese versus filet minion. I will be doing more of these, probably even a few in damascus, in the near future.
Thanks,
Del

Those look great Del, I know what you mean, sometimes I try and knock off as many little jobs as I can at the start of the day so I feel I'm making headway. Looking forward to seeing more WIP pictures, thanks alot.

"Speaking of which there are a few of you that requested a place and havn't sent a deposit or choice for a handle. You will be getting pm's tonight as well. I have a few people that have requested these after it filled up. If I don't hear from you proptly, you might lose your place"

Yes, the vultures are circling and waiting for the uncommitted to falter! ;)

Here are those first 4 I pictured in the last post, finished. :viking:
100_1111.jpg100_1112.jpg100_1113.jpg100_1114.jpg

The first 3 are buckeye, the last is the red elm I mentioned.
Del

Back