Antiquing Finds!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
I'm on "vacation" AKA family trip(A very wise man once said "never confuse a family trip with a vacation") to visit the in-laws in the tropical paradise known as East Lyme/Flanders/Niantic Connecticut. I figured when the kiddos were napping
I could hit some antique shops in the area in search of some old knives to rehandle. Well, no luck on the rehandling front, but still a couple of good finds.
IMG_4708.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4709.jpg
[/IMG]
Scored a Clauss bread knife and an older Dexter boning knife-the handle is in great shape too.

The shop that I scored the Clauss at had another smaller Clauss with some rust issues and a similar bread knife with no makers mark. If anyone wants me to score these for them, PM me TODAY as I'm leaving soon. My wife & I are driving to Hartford to check out JohnnyChance's place in Hartford for a date night. Really looking forward to it, and maybe some more "antiquing" too!

Don't forget to look for straights!

That bread knife is a great find.

I know nothing of straights, but maybe I'll go back and take a look. I saw quite a few yesterday. If there is an "Idiot's Guide to Straightrazors" somewhere online maybe. Or if any one is looking for something in particular, lemme know asap.

Some straight razor fanatics are going to tar and feather me for saying this, but as far as USING them for shaving, any razor from long enough ago(before Gillette ruined it) is pretty good. If you want to check collector value, just using your phone to google the maker's mark and checking how many hits from Badger and Blade or Straight Razor Place will get you an idea of if it's something people drool over.

But when it comes to actually shaving, they are all pretty sweet. It was the only way to shave back then. Buying a razor that doesn't shave well in 1920 would be like today getting a TV that doesn't show images very well. I mean, yeah, there is variation, but they all WORK, and you have to be a connoisseur to detect or even care about the difference.

When I needed a straight to use, I just hit up the local shops and checked for anything from Worchester(Mass), Sheffield, or Solingen. I found a George Wostenholm Peerless with a fixable chip in it for $26. After googling it, there is a little fanclub of Wostenholm users. The shop owners were surprised and terrified that I actually intended to use it.

here you go my friend .

2KiIo.png
[/IMG]

dmLQm.jpg
[/IMG]

and a razor maker
jSy0i.jpg
[/IMG]

TxmnCl.jpg
[/IMG]

I've got a couple of those Clauss bread knives. I've seen a few of them around over the years, most all covered in rust. What I don't recall seeing often is the cake and paring knives much at all.

One day I'm going to clean them up and see if I can sharpen them and try them out.

Thanks steeley! Apparently the smaller Clauss I saw was the cake knife. Very cool. I took some Flitz to my bread knife already, but since I'm out of town, I can't clean it up properly until I'm at my home "knife closet" work area. I have every intention of using these bad boys. Dave, let me know if you get yours sharp and can throw any tips my way!

Very cool! While "Flea Marketing", I found a lil' old CLAUSS "Paring Knife" for twenty five cents! It has a "Sheepfoot" blade. I really like this lil' old knife.

Regards,
SixCats!

Back