Quantcast
resumes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: resumes

resumes

Lets say you get a resume from someone. Their resume looks good, has the experience, and everything is fine. Would you as a hiring chef look down upon someone if they put things other than just the basics on their resume. Like winning medals competing or an article attached that they were mentioned in or anything like that.

We were discussing that at work today, my job knows I am moving after the first of the year and I am redoing my resume. I told the chef de cuisine that I would not put that I wont a medal or attach a recent article about our restaurant that I am mentioned in. He said that I should and him being a hiring manager got me thinking. So I am asking all the execs and hiring staff here what do you think?

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I have always wondered about this. I can see the perks, with the bait. If I remember were you work I think it would help a ton.
    Chewie's the man.

I don't think it would hurt and as someone who looks at those things it certainly would give you a leg up and I'd probably want to have you stage before other candidates and certainly do a more in depth stage with you than someone else. I think it is always good to show case your talents.

That being said when I look at a resume I don't want to see a paragraph detailing your day to day. I say list the position and place you worked at and then give 4-5 bullet points on your basic responsibilities and skills, try to keep it to 1 page if possible. I'll give a guy preference who has a well organized resume that is straightforward and to the point that I can glance at and get an Idea about the place you work based upon your duties, over the dude who hands me 3 pages with 2-3 paragraphs per place worked.

I hope that helps and made sense. I know I have gotten into a few interviews due to the fact that I had a well organized easy to read and view resume

The medal you can add as a bullet point in your brief resume like Sarge suggested. The article...ehh, I'm not sure. Like Sarge said I don't want to read paragraph descriptions about each place you were at, let alone an entire article about your last restaurant just to find mention of you. Highlighting the bit about you seems cheesy. If the article was run in a paper or food publication in the area of the places you are applying, chances are they would have seen it, they might make the connection. What's in the article, is it really that beneficial?

Also, what positions would you be applying for? If you are applying for line cooks jobs, you might get a 'who the f does this guy thing he is?' reaction from people reading them.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I dont know, I have two pages just with places I have worked at and theres no paragraphs just information about the food, my position and duties.

I think everything that could help you win your goal, so getting a job where you want, is worth trying.

Think of whats important chef-wise or position-wise.
    I would put info that Maco Pierre White is my fav chef but [just to help describe my style] and I would not put a note about a competition.
    Who in pro setting gives a shite about that?

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I think you could put it as a reference. Like a link page if someone wanted to read it they can look it up. Otherwise k.i.s.s.. Also, don't do to many write ups, it will look like you are bragging to much.
    Chewie's the man.

Different restaurants want different things... the important thing about apping is to know your audience.

For me I want a guy who is semi-competent and willing to put in 2-3 years min. I have literally no use for an awesome cook who will get bored in 6months...

Super high end places want you to work for less than min wage and shut your mouth...

Some owners need an ok cook who can Really do the books...

Resumes are more likely to alienate you from new employers than they are to seal a deal. They give you the opertunity to show you are an adult and competent, showing your exceptional in the way valuable to the restaurant is something saved for the interview where you can better judge their needs.

tldr: After hiring 5 bads in a row...don't trust anything i have to say lol

"the important thing about apping is to know your audience" by far the most important.

I think resumes should be limited to one page with no attachments. Long resumes have the wrong effect. Make is simple, to the point, and be absolutely certain that your English is perfect.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Keep in mind that the purpose of a resume is to get you an interview. It's not your life history, but an advertisement to sell you to the person reading it. It has to be easy to read, it should summarize your accomplishments and needs to stand out from the rest of the resumes as much as possible. One page, no more.

I do keep my resume simple. it has name, dates, city, and a summary of what the job entailed. the medal is at the bottom in a bullet point with my school and certifications like servsafe and things. the article is pretty cool but i thought it was a bit over the top, so it stays out as far as i am concerned but my chef de cuisine was adamant that it would be good on there. i am applying across the country from where i currently am so no one there will know the magazine anyways.

i am applying for asst. pastry chef or baker positions. i am an exec pastry chef now but it really doesnt mean much its just a title. i am not a manager, i dont do my own ordering, and i have only some input into the dessert menu. i am young to this part of the industry and still in school so i am just honored they let me have the position. i do well i am told but obviously there are things i need to work on. in the 8 months the place has been open i am the 3rd pastry chef and i have been there 4 months now if that tells you anything about the place. it has been good hearing what exec and hiring managers have to say.