Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 16 pound pork shoulder

I decided to make this interesting. I was thinking of some of my other favorite pork recipes, conchinita pibil and carne adobada, for inspiration. I used what I have on hand to make a spice paste with garlic, white onion, safflower oil, apple cider vinegar, annato, allspice, cinnamon, clove, guajillo, chile negro, and chiles de arbol. It smelled pretty good as I rubbed it all over the pork. I'm going to use a apple wood for the smoke and mop it with apple cider. Tomorrow I will prepare salsas and we'll have pulled pork tacos. I'm planning to start the egg around 1:30-2am, so I'll have updates and pics later.

That's been my usual tactic for pork shoulder as well...start the fire around 2-3am so it's ready in time for dinnner. Usually takes me 12-15 hours...I keep a probe thermometer in it with an alarm for my desired temp (accounting for carry-over).
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Finished before I saw your post Jim, hope it didn't come across as sounding dismissive.
    Of course not! Great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    I decided to make this interesting. I was thinking of some of my other favorite pork recipes, conchinita pibil and carne adobada, for inspiration. I used what I have on hand to make a spice paste with garlic, white onion, safflower oil, apple cider vinegar, annato, allspice, cinnamon, clove, guajillo, chile negro, and chiles de arbol. It smelled pretty good as I rubbed it all over the pork. I'm going to use a apple wood for the smoke and mop it with apple cider. Tomorrow I will prepare salsas and we'll have pulled pork tacos. I'm planning to start the egg around 1:30-2am, so I'll have updates and pics later.
    Sounds wonderful, good luck.

I always put a drip pan under my butt! The foil hat comes later, tho......
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

still cooking, I put it on at 1:30am. the internal temperature was 150°F at around ten this morning. The temperature of the BGE has held steady around 200°F without me having to fuss with it.

it's 3:39pm a little after 14 hours since I've began. The pork is no where near done, the thickest park of one of the shoulders still reads 150, the other hovering around the low 160s. I've lowered the drip pan to increase airflow and turned them 180 degrees. I'm tempted to increase the temperature to 250. the outside is looking nice and crusty

When I smoke pork shoulders, I shoot for 225 to 250 degrees. I never thought about cooking at 200 degrees, but at that temperature I wonder if that will help make the meat juicier. Looking forward to seeing your results, I'm hungry.

Tent them with foil and raise the temp.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Has the pork here, hitten the fan... ?