Quantcast
ODC (Old Dirty Carbon) - Page 19
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: ODC (Old Dirty Carbon)

Quote Originally Posted by Anton View Post
    How did you go about cleaning these?
    I used a progression of sandpapers and elbow grease. I started with 80 grit and went to 200, 400, 600, and 800 grit wet/dry automotive sandpapers. I wrap the paper around a small block that's about the same width as the blade, and sand it on my sharpening bridge. And try to go from the heel to the tip and back again in continuous motions. These two photos are after I used the 80 grit, but I kept using the 80 grit even after these pics were taken. The pitted rust spot is still visible near the tip:

I used a good bit of 80 grit before I started going up in grits. Was necessary to sand it down far enough to get most of the pitting out. The spot near the tip still has some slight pitting, but the black rust is meow gone.

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    nice work!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Chrysler View Post
    Those look pretty good. I like the big chef's knife and the parer.
    The chef knife was definitely my fave.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    They turned out great. I bet it was hard to give back, lol. Did you at least take one out for a good time on the board?
    Thanks! And yes, they definitely were. I used the chef knife and paring knife to make dinner the night I started working on em after I put a quick edge on em. Just so I could use em for a bit. The pictures above were taken right before I used em.

Nice Olde Forge 10" chef. This was NOS and had no edge to speak of. A tang job for conversion, rounded spine and reworked choil and a 70/30 edge and it's good to go. Killer profile on these too.

Yeah and a choil shot too -

Mike, we need to talk, lol. You have lots of ODC, and I need more....
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

What do you do with a dinky (3") Ecko Forge paring knife . . .

Why convert it to Wa of course . . .

I thought I'd make a nice turning knife out of it. I reshaped the tip, rounded the spine and reground & rounded the choil. I was thinking of making a scale handle, but then it would be pretty much useless except for maybe opening mail.

After a trip to the band saw

Gotta love a box of wood scraps - in this case east indian rosewood and curly maple

And some pin stubs

Quote Originally Posted by Beohbe View Post
    I used a progression of sandpapers and elbow grease. I started with 80 grit and went to 200, 400, 600, and 800 grit wet/dry automotive sandpapers. I wrap the paper around a small block that's about the same width as the blade, and sand it on my sharpening bridge. And try to go from the heel to the tip and back again in continuous motions. These two photos are after I used the 80 grit, but I kept using the 80 grit even after these pics were taken. The pitted rust spot is still visible near the tip:

I used a good bit of 80 grit before I started going up in grits. Was necessary to sand it down far enough to get most of the pitting out. The spot near the tip still has some slight pitting, but the black rust is meow gone.

Thanks!

The chef knife was definitely my fave.

Thanks! And yes, they definitely were. I used the chef knife and paring knife to make dinner the night I started working on em after I put a quick edge on em. Just so I could use em for a bit. The pictures above were taken right before I used em.
    Very nice work! Wouldn't worry too much about that spot near to the tip. I use a brass brush to clean up the deepest pits. They may reappear, though. As long as it's no active rust I don't care to much and force a patina.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    What do you do with a dinky (3") Ecko Forge paring knife . . .

Why convert it to Wa of course . . .

I thought I'd make a nice turning knife out of it. I reshaped the tip, rounded the spine and reground & rounded the choil. I was thinking of making a scale handle, but then it would be pretty much useless except for maybe opening mail.

After a trip to the band saw

Gotta love a box of wood scraps - in this case east indian rosewood and curly maple

And some pin stubs
    Nice one!

got a card board box of about 20 junk knives, in-amongst assorted cutco & vanadium stainless crap were these

the top 2 are ForgeCraft 6 & 8 inches
    The bottom Carving Set say Landers Frary & Clark AETNA Works.
    I know the Forgecraft ones are keepers, but is the LF&C set worth the effort to clean up & re-profile to fix the broken tip?

Quote Originally Posted by DSChief View Post
    got a card board box of about 20 junk knives, in-amongst assorted cutco & vanadium stainless crap were these

the top 2 are ForgeCraft 6 & 8 inches
    The bottom Carving Set say Landers Frary & Clark AETNA Works.
    I know the Forgecraft ones are keepers, but is the LF&C set worth the effort to clean up & re-profile to fix the broken tip?
    yes, definitely worth it.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

lots of Landers Frary & Clark collectors out there and the stuff that came out of the Aetna Works were top notch and that is an old set you got there. Probably around 1880's or 1890's
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    yes, definitely worth it.
    dude, that fork is ridiculously awesome. if i owned that thing, i would take it with me to restaurants and eat steak dinners with it.

+ Reply to Thread