Quantcast
ODC (Old Dirty Carbon) - Page 7
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: ODC (Old Dirty Carbon)

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Really nice set!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Yea they are all chef au ritz. Painstakingly collected

That is a great looking set! Keep em' coming! That's what this thread is all about
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Here's an old 12" Ontario I salvaged. Didn't turn out too bad.

Here's a new project - a Dexter Scimitar. I have the tang and machi cut and have ground out the coil area. The spine and choil are rounded and the blade has been cleaned up. I'm meditating on ideas for the handle.

^thats a beauty. Handle is a little "flashy" for me, but the blade looks great. Any before pics
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Here is before - it wasn't in as bad a condition as my Lamson Goodnow was, but it wanted to be thinned and I made a good amount of sludge in the process. I stoned two angles on it and the cutting edge is @ 3mm. Tell you what - it's a big honkin' knife. The handle is black ash and box elder burls.

Love the profile!

That didn't look that bad to start off, hell, I have worse ones that get used on a regular basis. You did a great job. Can't wait to see the dexter all finished up
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Looks awesome, Mike! I really like the handle.

It's funny how these old carbon knives seem to so naturally become wa handled blades.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thanks Lefty - I had put a mustard patina on that Ontario, but didn't like the smell so I cleaned it off then polished the blade. The etch I put on the Lamson was much better with dilute etching solution and did not smell afterwards. Must be the organic thing.

For the Dexter I made a Wa-Yo hybrid handle from rosewood and curly maple. I'll get a couple pics up end of the week - I'll will be out of whack for a couple of days.

This Ontario is such an imposing blade I felt it looked even bigger with a shine