ODC (Old Dirty Carbon)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is there just something special about ODC?
Here's my most recent toy, for myself.
Forced patina with hot sauce and dijon mustard = Spicy Carbon, right?
If you have this same affliction, show it off!

CE3B329A-478A-4DDA-96A7-89AB67CB2414-37311-000030C2FB89BFEC.jpg

Alright, I'm expanding upon this thread.

I want to thank you guys for making this start up so successful! This is awesome!!!

I'm getting the feeling that the ODC is a hit, along with the soap and vintage shaving gear (as per requests). The good news is I'll be putting up a few more of these types of items on Monday, but my stock is limited (although, I'm always searching, and getting "new" stuff in).

If you guys have any "must haves", let me know and I'll do my absolute best to track them, or something similar, down. :D

Hmm, maybe you should hold my parcel until I have seen the new ODC you are putting up on Monday... might be something more I... "need". :)

Even though they aren't carbon, I figure I'll toss this in this thread, because it's an item that seems to be doing really well, as well.

The Harner Stabbers seem to be generating a lot of interest (sold one, without even having a chance to post it, and the other two are gone, already!).

What else might you guys be after, that is a bit out of the ordinary, that you want me to get?

Sorry for only getting one item up on Monday. I've been a little busy, between my wife's birthday and work, but today, I've worked on some stuff and here's a crappy pic "teaser" of what's to come.
They're all very cool knives, but man is the 12" chef knife ever awesome!

780C9422-79A7-497C-8C62-7AF933BB52DD-2596-0000029D9FE7278D.jpg

QrpiBh.jpg

e8VpTh.jpg

So I just finished a project I've been procrastinating over and I figured I'd share in your ODC thread. Brought an old beat up Sab back to life.

Wow! That looks insanely good! Nice work!

Thanks! I'm getting much better, I think. Grinding the bolster down with DMT plates/stones wasn't fun, I can tell you. It's incredibly satisfying to see the finished product though. Really adds a lot of personal pride and satisfaction in ownership, at least to me.

One of my products got a wonderful makeover! Check out this great little refurb Dan did on a Forgecraft he picked up from my shop:

96E27BF4-0137-474D-A775-41D676B2FE61-9109-00000C3FFE71C7DE.jpg

Talk about nice work!

Ok guys, I know you've all seen Son's "collection" pics. I have had NO TIME AT ALL...ahem...to add anything to the store in a few days, but I have 2 of the sweet, paper thin German Parers (sheepsfoot-ish) available. They do have minor wear/rust that should come right off with Rick's method, or sandpaper. I'll even do it for you...

Anyways, those little demons are up for grabs for $15 apiece, or $25 for both, plus actual shipping. Contact me if you'd like a picture or more info.

OR:

I'll toss one in for $5, with the purchase of the 12" American Grinding Co. chef knife.

I'll see what I can do. I'm at work, but I'll try to get one or two emailed to me and I'll post from my "office" (iPhone).

I'll be cleaning the handle up, and the tarnish/age on the blade, but here it is. They're wicked little parers!

36DDC64E-41DB-4D1A-9AD4-A068E5E2C01E-9836-00000CC48BA83746.jpg

10CBD8F5-3D54-40B9-8C71-351A58CBC2B9-9836-00000CC4A5FC6C1C.jpg

Thanks for the pix!
Looks good. They are the longer versions of the common carbon peelers a few German makers still produce. Very thin indeed, mostly 1095, not too hard (around 56Rc), maintain by steeling.

You say carbon, I say "Nicht Rostfrei" (not rust-free) ;)

Funny. "Nicht rostfrei" is the term for the general public. There is some warning in it. "Carbonstahl" is the term amongst the informed public, in opposition to "rostträge" or "Chromstahl". Robert Herder indicates on his knives simply "Carbon".

my understanding is that the one I have is old/new stock from the the late thirties, they came with no handles and were coated in a cosmoline type substance and wrapped a dozen at a time. when they were purchased from the guy I got mine from, he would clean them up and put a rudimentary handle on it. The company still exists and still makes these types of knives now, but in stainless steel mostly and not as good in my opinion. It is the quintessential German paring knife design for the last century. It's simple, cheap, effective and easily sharpenable.

Alright guys, I've had my fun with this one. I'm going to give in and put this badboy up for sale:

CE3B329A-478A-4DDA-96A7-89AB67CB2414-37311-000030C2FB89BFEC.jpg

There's a small chip (very small), but I didn't want to take any more metal off than necessary. It's Pre-Forgecraft, likely the exact knife Forgecraft used as their "prototype/inspiration". It is from before Washington Forge purchased the company, and is OLD!!!

Because of the cool history and the fact that I'm not urgent to get rid of it, this one is $85 with shipping included.

Thanks, guys!

One little request, however. I want this one to be kept original, if possible. It would be a shame to pretty it up too much.

You mean the chip @3" from the heel? I really don't understand why you didn't remove it. Is it that deep you're affraid to loose a lot of material?

That's the one. The angle in the pic makes it look much worse than it really is. I hose not to remove any more metal, because it's minor and will sharpen out in a couple sessions...and I was sick of grinding blades that day, I guess. :)

Alright...$75, with shipping. That's it, though!

0D127887-325F-4F56-B9D3-6A60F7AE55D1-5134-000005185662F989.jpg

Pardon the iPhone photos, but I just wanted to show this off.

Latest posts

Back