Quantcast
ODC (Old Dirty Carbon) - Page 23
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: ODC (Old Dirty Carbon)

Latest wood shed freebie, Handle was held on by Mono filament & Black electrical tape. cut the rivets off with my band saw. Blade was
    completely encrusted with rust. after a dozen disc's with an orbital sander it looks almost presentable. needs a bit more hand polishing
    and new shoes.

This knife is one that my step father can't get enough of. I guess he got it from an old fire captain of his and its still his favorite. Any help in giving the origions or brand name of this knife would be much appreciated! At this point I can see this thing going into his will. I think he loves it that much

its like widdled down to nothing lol

[IMG][/IMG]
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Some fisher's tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Some fisher's tool?
    It appears to be a boning knife that has been sharpened down over a period of time to what you see here

It started life as a bullnose, it's older than you realize!

Looks like a "Green River Works" by Dexter/Russel. Six inch, semi-stiff, curved boning knife. Very popular knife in the, high speed, meat cutting industry. " Sharpen them till you can't use them anymore, than throw them out." Hope this helps.

Utica Forge

I found a great old carbon knife from a company called Utica Forge, apparently a brand operating under utica cutlery, which seems to only make sport knives now. Has anyone ever heard of them making kitchen cutler like this, and are they any good?.

It's a 7.5 inch slicer, with forge marks reminiscent of a forgecraft, but not the regular grid pattern of rolled steel, more like actual trip hammer marks, although I suspect they are more decorative than anything. It is in the original packaging, and it says it is "hammer forged", and rambles on about how "The village blacksmith made once made all knives for our ancestors" and how it is "Ideal for use by the man-of-the-house".

The thing that caught my eye was the shape of the blade, a subtle flowing curve I've never seen in a slicer before (although I haven't been a cutlery collecter for long). for $1 at an estate sale, I couldn't resist!

I'm tempted to replace the old boring rectangular handle with something that fits my hand better, and that goes with the curve of the blade. It seems a shame to have such a nice blade with a handle that is little more than an afterthought. Would that be knife blasphemy? It's just for my own use, so I'm not really concerned about it's resale value.

Utica Forge

Anybody ever hear of a company called Utica Forge? Found this one for $1 at an estate sale and grabbed it.

sorry for the double post

sorry for the double post. I didn't realize there was a delay, so I posted twice.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Whatever you do, save the box! It's too cool and we don't see stuff like that too often. I've seen some forgecraft packaging but that's about it.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

+ Reply to Thread