Quantcast
Kiyoshi Kato 27cm - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiyoshi Kato 27cm

Loving things so far! I havn't had as much use as i'd like but i am very impressed with thi knife.

Initial impressions of the blade: I was expecting a rough finish with this blade but was pleasantly surprised. The spine is rounded well and blade grind marks even. Handle fit is flawless and the kanji its self is a work of art. The only let down (as i was prepared for) is the choil finish which isnt too big a deal and i will rectify when i can be bothered (a few years away then!).

First cutting impressions: Well i am another victim of the ever growing "Kato Effect". I sent this thing straight into the deep end and found a nice dense butternut squash for my first cutting experience. I had my only other 240 direct comparison, my tanaka r2 ironwood. I know they are not really in the same category as far as knives go but it may be a useful reference point for some tanaka owners. So, what was the result? Yes, you guessed! Despite having a spine more than twice the thickness of the tanaka, the Kato cut easier . The feeling of the cut is also so much smoother and more positive, perhaps due to the extra blade weight. It is such an addicting feeling, almost buttery?!

I have not taken the knife to any stones, only gave a few swipes on a borosilicate rod. Even with this small process, i notice the steel feels unlike anything i have tried before. So smooth and silky. Again, i must use the term buttery! The blade has developed a patina quicker than i imagined after reading other reviews. A quick pic after an hours use:

I cant wait to get more use out of this thing and really stretch its legs. I will keep updating as i discover more about this amazingly unique knife. It even had one of the waitresses tonight exclaiming "F*** this thing cuts amazing!" quickly followed by "I can't believe i just got excited about a knife!" Another quick pic of my custom apron knife sheath for the night hehe

Thanks for your thoughts... I have a 270 in the mail, can't wait for it to show up !
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

phuck me I want a patina like that.

Thanks for your thoughts scott, im not crazy at all it seems.

Im rehadling mine now, and i had to order special extra long drill bit to fit the tang [its 11 cm]. As Im waiting for the drill im using shigefusa as allrounder... well...cant wait

2 bienek

how this gyuto for fileting salmons ?
    or you have deba for this ?

very intereting knife..

do you use Shige gyuto after got this one ?

My 270mm Kato gyuto just showed up, and I was a little skeptical when I pulled this monster
    Out of the box... It is huge!!! But it more then exceeded my expectations! I have never been as impressed with a knife ootb as I am with this! I've only been using it 20 minutes but I'm already getting used to its heft and loving the feeling it gives... It just wants to cut! Also must mention the fast shipping, I ordered it on Friday afternoon and received it today... And I'm in Australia! Thanks Maxim!
    Huw

Hehe thats cool write something up when you destroy some vegetables...

gentlecook I use deba for fish mostly only when superlazy dont pull up the fish board but it never happened yet with kato so dont know.

I use shig now, cause kato is in rehandling and i do saya so it just is waiting and thats why i use shigefusa.
    Also was superbusy past week so not much time to fix it, but i cannot wait

Kato Vs Hapuka
    [IMG][/IMG], [IMG][/IMG]T
    Huw

thanks for reviews and sharing your practice with Yoshiaki Fujiwara's !

270mm and 240mm gyuto has same ~ 6mm thickness at handle ?

2 bienek:
    do you pick ur Kato from rehandling ?

Thickness means nothing.

no, im still waiting for the extra long drill bits. Tang is 11cm long. But the handle and saya is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    Kato Vs Hapuka
    [IMG][/IMG], [IMG][/IMG]T
    Damn beautiful fish and what a size.

+ Reply to Thread