Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 69

Thread: Kiyoshi Kato 27cm

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    far north Queensland
    Posts
    123
    I've not used it enough to really comment on the cutting performance.
    The grind is very unique almost as though the maker has made a subtle single bevel shape. Its rough as in places and a little bent hopefully this does not increase over time.
    I look forward to giving it a good workout .

  2. #42
    OK I supposed to do update on this one, I was talking about it for a month but Christmas and stuff and no time.

    I am still very happy with the blade, but theres one thing a new potential buyers need to know.

    Thinning.
    I just came to think of it after the PA thread, but it all comes together with clear sense.
    This knife is one of the toughest knives to thin effectively. That is both because of the steel, hard cladding, but mostly the grind. This is no toy and to keep it work you have to thin to up to around 2-2.5-3 cm up. That is a lot of work, and time, and it pissess me off a little, cause I just polished mine to near mirror and I know soon comes thinning ruining all that.
    So it is not for looking at, but when was it?

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,179
    When it was polished to near mirror :-)

  4. #44
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    OK I supposed to do update on this one, I was talking about it for a month but Christmas and stuff and no time.

    I am still very happy with the blade, but theres one thing a new potential buyers need to know.

    Thinning.
    I just came to think of it after the PA thread, but it all comes together with clear sense.
    This knife is one of the toughest knives to thin effectively. That is both because of the steel, hard cladding, but mostly the grind. This is no toy and to keep it work you have to thin to up to around 2-2.5-3 cm up. That is a lot of work, and time, and it pissess me off a little, cause I just polished mine to near mirror and I know soon comes thinning ruining all that.
    So it is not for looking at, but when was it?
    sounds like it should be treated like a Heiji, to a certain extent.

  5. #45
    Senior Member mpukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gyptuckey, CO
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    sounds like it should be treated like a Heiji, to a certain extent.
    In all seriousness, how is that any different that any other knife? Even a laser should be thinned to some extent as it's sharpened over time. I agree that the Heiji is a bit unique in that it already has a distinct hamaguri edge on each side, and {as I've come to find out the hard way} it's very important to follow that geometry.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

  6. #46
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    In all seriousness, how is that any different that any other knife? Even a laser should be thinned to some extent as it's sharpened over time. I agree that the Heiji is a bit unique in that it already has a distinct hamaguri edge on each side, and {as I've come to find out the hard way} it's very important to follow that geometry.
    the Kato is very thick through much of the blade, so it will need to be thinned higher up the blade each time than knives with a thinner section. this is similar to a Heiji, which is also quite thick through much of the blade, though the Heiji has a shinogi line, which does make it easier to follow the geometry.

  7. #47
    Senior Member mpukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gyptuckey, CO
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    the Kato is very thick through much of the blade, so it will need to be thinned higher up the blade each time than knives with a thinner section. this is similar to a Heiji, which is also quite thick through much of the blade, though the Heiji has a shinogi line, which does make it easier to follow the geometry.
    makes sense - thanks
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    the Kato is very thick through much of the blade, so it will need to be thinned higher up the blade each time than knives with a thinner section. this is similar to a Heiji, which is also quite thick through much of the blade, though the Heiji has a shinogi line, which does make it easier to follow the geometry.
    It seems that the Kato in the passaround may not be a good reflection of their cutting ability, but if it is, I'd say the Heiji and Kato are a little different. The Heiji could use some thinning, but I never really found it all that necessary, because it was still an awesome cutter. That passaround Kato, on the other hand, needed thinning to be a good cutter. Again, that might be because its grind was significantly modified, but we're not sure of that yet.

  9. #49


    that is what awesome is

  10. #50
    Maybe. But these kanji are a little bit upside down.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •