Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Patina poll

I also don't let my single bevels patina. Not really sure how that would happen, since so much of the knife get sharpened and thus polished up. My shig gets a fingerstone every time too, so it gets the patina polished off. But those are the only two.

No patina on single bevels and I am slowly moving away from patina on double bevels as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    I love the build up of patina over years of use. You can track events over time as it is marked in the blade
    +1

If I ever got into single-bevel knives, I would probably go the no-patina route on them, but for the other stuff I like looking at the patina and being able to tell people what particular portions of it came from cutting what and how it's changed over time.
    - Erik

most Asia(japan, HK , Taiwan, china....etc) don't like patina ... people think its grimy!! for me ...I like artisan looking like force patina

The only blade I had a patina issue was my 52100 kramer.When it built a heavy patina it got "grabby",so I removed the patina often.All my other blades I just keep a natural patina on.

I like patina's on blades; I cut stuff to try to get certain colors. I like the blue/purple patina the most. I have some 1095 blades coming in this week from HHH, so I will be working those patinas!! Now if I could just get a good pic of them!

I polished out a petty that was bearly black today, fresh natural stone finish on damascus is rather nice. Also dropped it when I finished, out of reflex I tried to catch it driving the heel through my finger and chipped the tip, then lost the heel later. No patina, no tip, no heel and a good bit less blood, one of those days.

It's very interesting to me that (some?) Asian cultures perceive patina as a hygiene issue...how do they feel about carbon steel cookware? or cast iron cookware?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Love patina, but not on single bevels.

I tend to not like patina, however I've let a few of my old Sabs color. I don't like it on J knives, but as with the Sabs I'm letting the white steel edge on one of my Gengetsus develop a natural patina to see how it looks.