Quantcast
Patina poll - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Patina poll

For those of you who do not patina, how do you 'stabilize' the knife to eliminate discoloration and smells?
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I have another question... What food generates which colors?

Ive done citrics, mustard, red meat protein patinas but I am interested in finding out what kind of foods, reactivity or ph generates which colors on diferent steels...

Thanks!

Hi Guys - maybe you can look at another thread for this, though I've hardly read more than a bit of it. Try checking: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-patina-thread

Depending on steel reactivity, smell and finish, I force a heavier or lighter patina, fooling with different vinegars, mustards, cold or hot...
    And I want the patina to feel smooth and look shiny.

Thanks for the responses so far, guys. (I doubt any of you have been girls, but can't tell for sure.)

Benuser, customfan - sounds like I should put you down for pro-patina. Chinacats you have already said you are.

Right, so the tally so far...

11 who generally like patinas
    6 who say it depends on the blade, with no patina single-bevels preferred
    9 who seem generally to prefer no patina

Almost equal so far!

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    patina, hides my bad sharpening.
    What he said ^
    Plus the blue looks sweet.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Patina all the way.

no patina... i'm trying to understand it and appreciate it though. but coming from japan it's hard to personally "like/love" it. i've never seen japanese chefs (both in traditional japanese restaurant and all others) with knives with patina. Shiner and well-kept their knives are, i more credit i automatically give for the chefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    It's very interesting to me that (some?) Asian cultures perceive patina as a hygiene issue...how do they feel about carbon steel cookware? or cast iron cookware?
    I can only speak for the case in Japan, but there even carbon cookwares are kept really really well. they use those cookwares for things that are designed for, and thus preserving them in a good condition for a long long time... for instance, we have traditional "imono"(cast-metal objects) cookwares, and they are often used to boil water for traditional tea ceremonies. Not only people take great care, but also these cookwares contribute to the flavor (and probably nutrients such as iron) of green tea. Another example would be a square copper pan for cooking eggs. They are carbon, but by following instruction for how to care for it, you won't see rust....

definitely pro patina. reactivity is a VERY big drawback to carbon, and anything that reduces it is a win. does anyone know how to force a black patina on cladding? i know the core steel can get dark, but what about soft iron and stuff.

+ Reply to Thread