Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ghessin Heiji 240 Guyto Semi-Stainless Passaround

Thanks again Ben!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I have had this over a week. It is very hard to say this but I hate to see it go.

Any time I get a knife in the mail I am just like a kid in the candy store, on Christmas morning. At first I couldn't get the blade out of the saya without some force (more on that later). When I get the blade out of the saya I was so blown away. To begin with I don't like thick knives, it goes back to having german knives that won't get sharp. But my eyes have been opened to a different world. No matter what I threw at the knife, it would fall through the food. From cold brisket, to slicing onions. I only seen and felt it wedge 2x, and we use Colossal sized onions that most thick knives wont make it half way through.

After some time I found that if you press the saya up from the blade it will fit perfectly, with no movement.

After some use in the restaurant I refreshed the edge. Getting a burr was a little difficult on the 1k, but had no problem with higher up to Kitayama.

I have to say to the bevels are perfect. I would love to study this knife for a life time, but I will have to wait until after John and Sara get back, and buy one.

Well this beauty is off to Markenki today. I know you will love as much as I have.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    To begin with I don't like thick knives, it goes back to having german knives that won't get sharp. But my eyes have been opened to a different world. No matter what I threw at the knife, it would fall through the food. From cold brisket, to slicing onions. I only seen and felt it wedge 2x, and we use Colossal sized onions that most thick knives wont make it half way through.
    It might be possible to say that JKI's knives tend to be like this - on the thicker side (for Japanese, compared to the lazers) but cutting well. Same with my Hide and what I've heard of many of their others. Must be something to it and Jon's taste in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    no... i have other stuff too... all across the board on this
    Ginga and Suisin Honyaki to name two

The Gengetsu seems to be more in the middle...possibly on the thinner side though? Might be more related to mine being a petty though.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

There goes my theory!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I took some pics before I boxed it up.

Name:  2012-09-17 03-24-22.329.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  19.8 KBName:  2012-09-17 03-24-44.047.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  29.3 KBName:  2012-09-17 03-25-06.570.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  28.8 KBName:  2012-09-17 03-25-29.571.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  19.9 KBName:  2012-09-17 03-25-53.009.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  21.5 KBName:  2012-09-17 03-27-33.190.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  24.3 KBName:  2012-09-17 03-28-26.462.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  19.9 KBName:  2012-09-17 03-29-04.919.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  25.0 KBName:  2012-09-17 03-29-16.499.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  29.4 KB
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Well this beauty is off to Markenki today. I know you will love as much as I have.
    Awesome, thanks! Will let you know when I receive it.

Ok, the knife will be on its way tomorrow to wenus2 in The Biggest Little City in the World.

Here's my honest and purely subjective opinion of the knife: I didn't like it all that much. Comparing it with a Shigefusa 240 kasumi gyuto, it seemed "clunky", maybe because it's a thick knife? Not sure exactly what it was, but it felt odd in my hand. Whereas the Shigefusa felt light and nimble, the Heiji felt heavy and slow. When cutting, the Heiji wouldn't go through as smoothly as the Shigefusa. I cut onions, mushrooms, and raw chicken (boneless thighs), and for each of those, the Shigefusa outperformed the Heiji. Not all knives work for everyone, and this one just didn't work for me.

Name:  028.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  18.2 KB

Objective observations: the handle is signigicantly shorter than the Shigefusa handle, and the balance point is more forward as well. In the photo (apologies for my poor photography skills), the pencil is more or less where the balance point is for each knife. This was my first time using a burnt chestnut handle, and I now know I prefer the more-common Ho wood, although I can see why others like burnt chestnut.

Thanks again to Ben for this pass around!

Regards,

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	028.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	10296  

It's a sad day, off to Kyle she goes tomorrow.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***