Quantcast
Ghessin Heiji 240 Guyto Semi-Stainless Passaround - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ghessin Heiji 240 Guyto Semi-Stainless Passaround

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    It's a sad day, off to Kyle she goes tomorrow.
    Which is to say you liked it??

Kyle, clear some space:

"Kyle has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

I'm going to have to take a pass on my turn, so send the knife to Chifunda.

Rick

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Just to update this: I got the knife from Chifunda on Monday and will be sending it off to Namaxy early next week.

I've received the knife. Andrew took great care of it, and I promise to do the same. As luck would have it, my crazy ordeal trying to send my Gengetsu to Korea has finally resolved with the knife back in my hands. So, I have a great opportunity to compare the two. I'll try to do them justice.

BrainSausage...if you're reading this, I PM'd you for shipping address. Will send out right away, pending your preference around the holiday. I enjoyed the knife quite a bit and will post photos and more thoughts shortly.

I received this knife last week and used it for a variety of tasks. As I mentioned before, I had on hand my 240 mm Gengetsu stainless clad white #2, so it seemed natural to make some comparisons. Measured, the Heiji is a little shorter overall, yet somewhat heavier. The knife weighed 229 grams vs. 203 for the Gengetsu. I attribute this to the thickness of the blade. Right at the handle, the spine of the Gengetsu is actually slightly thicker. However, the taper of the Gengetsu is much more pronounced. Over the heel the Gengetsu is slightly thinner than the Heiji, and near the tip it is noticeably thinner. The Gengetsu is also noticeable thinner behind the edge. Iíve thinned mine a little and I suspect the Heiji has not been thinned, however I think this is still indicative of stock geometry.

Of note the handle of the Heiji is quite a bit shorter. In hand, it feels noticeably heavier, in part because of the actual weight, but also because the balance point is more forward. In practice, I didnít mind the weight as I enjoy heavier knives, but would like the balance point a little further back. The knife is not quite as tall at the heel as the Gengetsu, but by no means short. For example, itís taller than my Suisin Inox or Konosuke (completely different knives).

Despite the weight, I found the knife easy to work with. By comparison, to me my 240mm Takeda, though a little lighter, is more awkward. TheTakeda is a very tall knife. Performance wise, the Heiji was bullet proof. It cut everything with ease, from butternut squash to shallots. I didnít use it long enough in any one sitting to tell if the weight would be an issue, but I doubt it would for anyone who enjoys heavy knifes. I would not recommend this knife to laser fans. And if you talk with Jon before buying (as you should) I'm confident he wouldn't sell this knife toa laser fan.

Before it came to me, Andrew had sharpened the knife well. I didnít put a lot of time on the knife, but edge retention seems very good. I touched it up with a strop in prep for mailing. Overall I enjoyed this knife very much, though I prefer the Gengetsu. Take that with a grain of salt, as I own two Gengetsus. If the Heiji were my own knife, I would thin behind the blade. For me that would make a great knife even better.

Gengetsu top, Heiji bottom

Gengetsu left, Heiji right

I would love to get in on this pass around. I hope that my being new doesn't keep me out of eligibility. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ccubd View Post
    I would love to get in on this pass around. I hope that my being new doesn't keep me out of eligibility. Let me know.
    considering that the pass-around is over and i bought the knife, i'd say that being new keeps you out of eligibility, due to temporal reasons.

Exclamation Still New

I realized that after I submitted my post. Still getting use to actually posting, rather than just reading.

Excuse my faux pas

you didn't commit a faux pas, i was just letting you know where the pass around stood.