Serenity knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnochef

Founding Member
Reaction score
Anybody heard of this guy? I saw one of his knives in a photo in this month's Bon Appetit Magazine and they look very interesting.

I especially like his utility and steak knives.

His kitchen knives look a little unconventional though, would love to know what you guys think about them.

www.serenityknives.com

I'm not being rude, but they seem kind of crudely done, don't they?

Yeah, really crude-looking grinds and porky profiles.

My first thought was crude as well, in most ways that I can tell from a picture. The "Japanese steak knife" looks unusable. I sense some Carter influence, shiroichi/ stainless cladding, rough grind marks; but these look...wrong.

He lists Carter as a mentor, and also states he's only been doing it since 2010. I agree that as of right now they're a little ugh... "rough around the edges," but I'd definitely check back now and then to see his progress.

yep, I used to see him selling stuff on etsy when he first started. He has potential just needs a little more time to refine his stuff.

"Serenity now, insanity later "
-Lloyd Braun

They look like props from the Black Adder's medieval era... The kitchen knives anyways. Lot better than I could do:D I do like some of his wood working on the more finished handles.

I have been keeping up with him for the better part of this year. He's really got the knife bug, which is invaluable.

I was bummed he didn't make it to the meetup at my house. Insanely bummed.

I really like the chef knife that is part of the cook/carving knife set. I missed how long it was, but like what I see.

Cheers,

Jack

The gyuto looks pretty darn good.
To me, it is just great to see another one of us out there doing what he loves. It doesnt really matter whether or not I'm in love with all of his work. I wish this guy the best.

Good points!

I wish I could make something even half​ as good as what he's already doing.

If anyone is willing to pick one up I'm curious to see how they cut. If they perform well they could be great all around knives considering the rustic look they already have

As I said in my original post, I really like his steak knives. Here are the ones he made for Oxheart restaurant in Houston:

http://serenityknives.com/archives/814

I think these show a little more refinement than a lot of his other knives, although the grind could be better as many of you have noted.

Looks like this guy is trying to progress with his skills.
I wish him the best of luck and hope he keeps at it.

Does anyone have any more recent experience with his work? It's been almost four years since people said he needed more time to learn and gain experience, so I'm wondering if he's coming along nicely or if it's still rough. The pictures are pretty, certainly.

Latest posts

Back