I think you know what this is

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
UPS just dropped this off for me.
Took me long enough to get any of this.
Now it's time to cut it up and send it in to be stabilized.
bp004.jpg

bp003.jpg

bp002.jpg

Rick guessed this one correctly without speaking a single word. Now that's talent.

This is the surface closest to the outside of the tree/grass.
bp006.jpg

The inside
bp007.jpg

End Grain
bp005.jpg

There are several different varieties of Black Palm each looking different.
This is the one I call salt and pepper.

Nice gold accents. Is it big enough to make some cross, some rip? I love the leopard-spots from the cross-cut blocks last time.

Nice gold accents. Is it big enough to make some cross, some rip? I love the leopard-spots from the cross-cut blocks last time.
I am going to try cutting some a few different ways. In my opinion a straight cross cut end grain piece is too weak. But every piece is different so I will check if this has the strength for a cross cut. Otherwise it will be a steep diagonal and some lengthwise cuts.

Very cool. Awaiting your tests... Has Deckhand seen this yet? I wonder.

I honestly never thought I would like wood so much. Another beautiful specimen.

OK, 1st I tried a straight cross cut end grain piece.
WAAAAAAAAY too weak. I could break a piece with very little effort.

I cut a couple lengthwise with the grain and a couple at a steep diagonal almost following the grain.
Both were strong enough that I could not break them.
The 2 blocks on the left are the diagonal cut. I like that look the best. Looks better to me and still plenty strong.

bp009.jpg

Here is a diagonal block sanded to 220 and sprayed with a light coat of lacquer.

bp010.jpg

Of course this stuff finally comes up when I haven't any money, palm is one of my absolute favorite woods.

Of course this stuff finally comes up when I haven't any money, palm is one of my absolute favorite woods.
I still have to cut it into blocks and then send it to be stabilized.
Probably about a month till it will be ready.

Here is a diagonal block sanded to 220 and sprayed with a light coat of lacquer.

bp010.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Can I call dibs on a hunk of that? Looks amazing...

Well,
I have it all cut up and ready to go to K&G for stabilizing.
bp011.jpg

Can I call dibs on a hunk of that? Looks amazing...
I will try to remember but I am not real good at keeping track. That is why the webstore is automated. Helps keep me from forgetting things.
Best thing would be to drop me a reminder note in 2 or 3 weeks.

I like the diagonal cut, that may really be the best use of this wood.

Stefan

Yep, put me down for another block, maybe two. :)

It looks like the best thing to do is if anyone thinks they might want some of this, make a post in this thread.
That way when they come back from getting stabilized I can refer to this thread and let you know they are ready.
I am bound to miss some requests if I have to search through all the PMs and emails.

Can you put an 'X' or something on that one block? :justkidding: I do really like the looks of the heavily stippled blocks, very dynamic. Especially that one I referenced earlier:D

Yeah, I'll be looking for one with a facet with the most black spots. :)

Put me down for a block of this, I just won't have coffee or beer for a while.

Look what came back from K&G today.
004-13.jpg

I am going to send a PM to those of you who wanted some of these. I will have them priced and ready in the morning.

Back