Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The 'kanji' on our knives

Quote Originally Posted by osakajoe View Post
    A bit tough but I think this I the closest I can get.

正宗二十四代?
    Masamune 24th generation

_?_広作
    ___hiro saku
    (note 広 is the way they right hiro today. The kanji on the knife is the old version)
    Saku means made by or maker

Had to ask my colleague on this one and even with her knowledge if working at the knife museum she couldn't tell me that one kanji.
    http://www.sword-masamune.com/en/info.html

is anyone able to determine this one? from a non-descript ebay purchase. maybe a Tojiro? looks similar to some postings i have seen that were Tojiro

I posted in your other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by osakajoe View Post
    The reason why you recognize the last kanji, saku - 作, is because it just means production or manufactured. Most knife brands put that at the end of their names. Kind of like saying osaka joe manufacturing.

Anyways to get on to the other kanji. It can be read one of two ways.
    長俊作 Nagatoshi-saku or Choshun-saku.
    More likely Nagatoshi as the other one is worded strangely.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...d.php?p=331154
    Hi all,
    Posted this in another thread.
    Maybe someone can help me here.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    Incidentally, romanji - our roman alphabet - is used quite a lot in Japan. Indo-Arabic numerals - 1,2,3... - are probably more common than their kanji equivalents.
    Not to nitpick, but it's romaji, not romanji.

Name:  ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1422137878.724971.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  11.0 KB

I'm new to the forums and I'm glad there is a community sharing and increasing our knowledge.

I recently purchased a yanagiba and a deba from an eBay seller. Not sure on the maker. Came from someone who purchased them from an estate sale, a collector of Japanese items who passed away. Took a chance as they were old and never used or sharpened. Still waiting on delivery and I can post more photos once they arrive. Picture is zoomed in on one of the eBay listing photos.

Any help if possible would be appreciated.

hi everyone, just another nameless japanese lurker here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortnate View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1422137878.724971.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  11.0 KB

I'm new to the forums and I'm glad there is a community sharing and increasing our knowledge.

I recently purchased a yanagiba and a deba from an eBay seller. Not sure on the maker. Came from someone who purchased them from an estate sale, a collector of Japanese items who passed away. Took a chance as they were old and never used or sharpened. Still waiting on delivery and I can post more photos once they arrive. Picture is zoomed in on one of the eBay listing photos.

Any help if possible would be appreciated.
    So... it reads 登録 忠雄作 (touroku Tadao(?) saku/ Registered (made) by Tadao)

I'm not familier with that name so I had to look up for it.
    And it looks like the knife is a cheaper side, baseline quality, soft iron / carbon steel (SK-5 steel?) forged one.
    I couldn't find the details on who made it, but seems like it's by some blacksmith in Tsubame Sanjo area, Niigata prefecture.

And, better late than never so... quoting from the other thread
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPower View Post
    Hi all,

This is my first time posting on this forum!
    Really enjoying reading all the threads so far!

Was wondering if someone would be able to help me with this knife.
    Want to find out what it is to see if it is worth restoring.

Look forward to finding out what it is!

Cheers,

関菊水 謹製 本割込 (Seki-kikusui kinsei hon-warikomi)
    There's a small company named "菊水刃物" (kikusui hamono) in Seki, so I guess it's their product, though the company is more famous for outdoor and diving knives.
    I'm not sure either but maybe you should try and find how it cuts. It might be inexpensive but that doesn't mean it's useless...

[QUOTE=no_one_just_Roy;339432]hi everyone, just another nameless japanese lurker here.

So... it reads 登録 忠雄作 (touroku Tadao(?) saku/ Registered (made) by Tadao)

I'm not familier with that name so I had to look up for it.
    And it looks like the knife is a cheaper side, baseline quality, soft iron / carbon steel (SK-5 steel?) forged one.
    I couldn't find the details on who made it, but seems like it's by some blacksmith in Tsubame Sanjo area, Niigata prefecture.

Thanks for the information on the mystery knives.

I own a Tanaka 270mm gyuto. Really like the style of kanji he engraves. It's noticeably larger than other makers. Name:  ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1423379066.745580.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  9.5 KB

Was contemplating getting a yanagiba from Tanaka, but not sure how the large kanji would react to the shinogi line moving up the table of the blade from sharpening. The kanji might intersect the shinogi line. Guessing mostly a cosmetic concern, losing part of the kanji, plus this would take a while before becoming an issue.

Name:  ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1423379925.129054.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  13.9 KB

So i've been trying to decode the kanji on one of my knives, and this is what i've gathered so far.
    I'm fairly certain that the "Yasui ? Hagane" part means Yasuki Speciality Steel.

The first two kanji i have no idea about, same with the very last one. Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by denfetafrukten View Post
    So i've been trying to decode the kanji on one of my knives, and this is what i've gathered so far.
    I'm fairly certain that the "Yasui ? Hagane" part means Yasuki Speciality Steel.

The first two kanji i have no idea about, same with the very last one. Any help?

"安来鋼" is indeed yasu-ki hagane, the name of the speciality steel by Hitachi Metals ltd.. Originally it came from Yasugi (安来 - same kanji as you see), name of a small city in Shimane Prefecture, but the name of the steel is "Yasuki" - perhaps they wanted it to be clear that while it is originated from the traditional tama-hagane steel, the steel they make is not by the traditional method and high-tech involved.
    (By the way, basically you need a following kana to read 安 as 'yasu-i' (安い) )

But the following is rather weird. It indeed is "青鋼" and it means "blue steel" but the first character is in older writing "靑" which has been officially obsolete in Japan since 1949. And I don't think the blue paper steel was available back then.
    Also, I don't see any good reason to stamp "yasuki steel" when you clearly state it is blue steel, one of major Yasuki steel lineup. It's totally redundant.
    "入" (iri) means ... well, "include" "contain" "enter" or things like that. And this too is kind of strange (you cannot simply blend steels like pancake mix...)
    So... I don't think it's made (or at least stamped) in Japan. China or Korea it might be? Come to think of it, the first 2 letters may be hangul or some other characters instead of kanji, though they are indecipherable in the picture.
    "Your knife don't cut? You need a sharpening stone, probably not a new knife." - conversation in an old Japanese knife shop