But Wait....There's More - Arrived Today

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
It feels like Christmas Today.
These just arrived from the Ukraine. More of the Ancient Bog Oak. These were all cut from the same log that was carbon dated at 5460 years old.
I had my supplier cut these ones to be bigger than before. Large enough for 2 wa handles.
I will be sending about 2/3 of these to K&G to be stabilized. Others will be sold not-stabilized. There are a number of my regular customers who like using natural, not-stabilized woods.

002-28.jpg

When I placed this order with my guy in the Ukraine I told him I was willing to pay a bit more if he would send some of his very best stuff.
I also told him I needed bigger blocks. These have been cut about 6" x 2&1/2" x 1&1/4". I figured that could yield 2 Wa handles.
These are carbon dated to be 5460 years old. I have a copy of the carbon dating test report.

This is probably some of the rarest wood you or I will ever see.

Plus there were even a few with some nice figure like this.
005-11.jpg

006-7.jpg

007-9.jpg

008-4.jpg

I need a piece this time. Last time I missed out.

Last batch were smaller pieces about 1&3/4" wide.
These ones are larger 2&1/2" wide and 6" long. I figured this would yield 2 wa handles and maybe some extra ferrule or spacer material.
Since I paid about 1/3 more for the larger blocks these will sell for $60 each instead of $45 like the smaller ones were.
Figured ones will be higher. Not very many of those.

Preference for natural wood vs stabilized wood with the bog oak has been about 40/60.
The pieces I will be adding to the store tomorrow will be Natural (not stabilized) blocks.
The stabilized ones won't be ready for about a month.

Put me down for one of the stabilized blocks, please.

can i preorder a highly figured stabilized block please?

Mark, can you please pick two unstabilized blocks for me that are large enough for 2 wa handles? One figured, one regular would be perfect. That way I wouldn't have to stay up all night out here, waiting for you to post them. ;)

Thanks,

Stefan

I like how it is +\- 50 years, pretty amazing they can get it that accurate.

My new term for older than old is bog. From now on if someone asks me how I feel, I can just say bog.

This is pretty cool, dates back to the early bronze age, first pyramids, and stonehenge.

I'd like a couple of the stabilized blocks, one figured and one not please.

You can put me down for 2 stabilized and figured blocks.I do have a 5k block that is not stabilized if someone is interested,I will not use it on a chef knife. Thanx

Back